Mike from Illinois saying hello

Michael Bergen

I'm new to the site, wish it was available to me when I rebuilt my 409 twice about 8-9 years ago. Do all 409 pop and fart a lot or is it just mine?

chevy man

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Just yours !!!!! :D
Only kidding...............

Sounds like yours needs some attention !!!

mike s

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Them 409s all run nice and smooth but i think its some of us older drivers that POP and Fart!!!!!!!!!!

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
That "pop and fart" sound (I call it a "cackle") might be the result of your exhaust system combined with your choice of cam, etc. I ran a second set of "resonators" spliced into my rather stock exhaust and it took the "cackle" out of the exhaust note. On the other hand, you might just check your shorts and see if it might be more personal :).

Welcome aboard!

TomK

Michael Bergen

I'm new to the site, wish it was available to me when I rebuilt my 409 twice about 8-9 years ago. Do all 409 pop and fart a lot or is it just mine?
Thank for the feedback......I think? Forgot to state that it has two 750 Edelbrocks on a Mickey Thompson cross ram with huge exhaust pipes. I need to lean it out and tone down the exhaust I think?

chevy man

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
I blocked the heat ports on my manifold for the carb, and was warned that it would as Tom says "cackle" from my doing that so I installed an "H" pipe in the exhaust system and it sounds great. I did that not because I'm smart:crazy but because I'm not. I just listen to all the vast knowledge of the guys on this site !!:clap