Long time owner of 59 convertible with 348

dano

Hello All,

My name is Dan and I'm a new member to the forum. I have a 59 convertible with a 348 that is in the process of being restored. I'm pretty far into the project and it's in the body and paint stage. This car was my first car back in 1979. I managed to keep her all these years and about 5 years ago I made a decision to finally finish her. I figured I'm at a point of my life where I can get it done and still enjoy the car. I look forward to corresponding with everyone for I have some paint scheme decisions to be made and look for some technical advice.

Cheers

Dano

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Dano
Welcome to the forum. I had a 59 convertible/348 back in the early 60's. Black/red interior. Wish I still had it.

Post some pics of yours and the progress. We like photos.

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Welcome to the zoo Dano....... and as stated we like pictures !!! It's pretty cool that you managed to keep your first car this long.........

Dave

dano

Thanks Ron and Dave.

I have some pictures taken a few years ago before I decided to seriously restore the car. I'll post them soon.

Dano

WENGINE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Welcome aboard Dano:beerbang Looks like you have a good solid car to restore there. Thats allways a big help, Look forward to your progress. Ken

Old School

Supporting Member 1
Welcome to the asylum...

You have the car I've always wanted but waited too long... My favorite color on these was the stock sliver with black rear deck. Silver,gray and black interior with black top..

Just in my dreams...:-):cheers

58 Apache

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Welcome I am pretty new but these guys are really helpful :clap and when they aren't being helpful they are entertaining:crazy

w ogden

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Welcome to the nut house Dano!! I will have to look you up the next time I am in San Fran. Go out there about once a year to see the family. Keep plugging away at the '59, she is looking real good. Walt

PS Hope I haven't been too entertaining........................:crazy:dunno

:roll:roll:roll

dano

1959 progress

Hey Gang,

Yesterday I went to the body shop to check progress. She's coming along nicely.

Cheers:cheers

Dan

Attachments

• IMG_4028.jpg
    IMG_4028.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_4033.jpg
    IMG_4033.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_4027.jpg
    IMG_4027.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_4032.jpg
    IMG_4032.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 42

WENGINE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
looking good Dan:cheers I'm guessing from your original post that you don't care for the original color :dunno Are you planning on a restoration or a hot rod. Ken

dano

Hi Ken,

I plan a modified restoration. I'm going to paint the car a stock two tone combination: Aspen Green and Classic Cream. The Interior is going to be stock green. The top will also be green, close to the Aspen green. I'm getting them from Pete Ciadella. The 348 will stay, the tranny is going to be upgraded to a Turbo 350, I want the overdrive. rear end is stock. Brakes will be upgraded to disc in the front. I need them for these hills in San Francisco. I am going to run white walls with stock hupcaps with the stock spinner inserts. I'm planning to drive the car quite a bit.

I'm attaching a paint chart so you can see the color combo.

Dan

dano

Ken,

Here's the paint chart and a shot of a hardtop the same color combo.

Dan

Attachments

• 1959-chevrolet-body-colors.jpg
    1959-chevrolet-body-colors.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 22
  • 340630220.jpg
    340630220.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 35

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Hi Ken,

I plan a modified restoration. I'm going to paint the car a stock two tone combination: Aspen Green and Classic Cream. The Interior is going to be stock green. The top will also be green, close to the Aspen green. I'm getting them from Pete Ciadella. The 348 will stay, the tranny is going to be upgraded to a Turbo 350, I want the overdrive. rear end is stock. Brakes will be upgraded to disc in the front. I need them for these hills in San Francisco. I am going to run white walls with stock hupcaps with the stock spinner inserts. I'm planning to drive the car quite a bit.

I'm attaching a paint chart so you can see the color combo.

Dan

Dano, Beautiful color for your 59...:clap Are you saying you are going with the 350 Turbo but would like to have the 700R or 4L60?:?

WENGINE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I also like the color combo you have picked. That will be a real eye catcher:cool: And like Dan has said you will not get overdrive with a T350 trans your going to have to get a 700r4 or 4L60 to get the overdrive. Ken

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Is the Turbo 350 a 2 speed like the Powerglide or 3 speed?

The Turbo 350 is a 3-speed Auto. Third gear is 1:1. The 700R 4L60 or 200R are all overdrive tranys. Three speeds with the forth an overdrive.

dano

Thanks Dan for the info. I decided to go with a 700R. The price was a few houndred bucks more but I think it will be worth it in the long run.

:beerbang