long live Detroit Iron

jd63

Hey guys, I just registered to this site yesterday and am looking forward to it and the info you guys provide. I own a 63 Impala 2-door. It currently has a non running 305/powerglide. Last fall I purchased 65 409 truck motor and M20 tranny. I'm sure this is going to be a long process to get this car up and running being that the vehicle is in Michigan and I live in Maryland. Hopefully the next time I go home I will be able to drop the 409/4-speed in it and post some pics. thanks in advance for all the questions that I will be asking. Jason

Last 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
jd63

Welcome! That would definitely be a long trip to the garage each night! Good Luck with your project.

Lonnie:cheers

18htan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Welcome Jason...

Heaps of info tucked away in this forum, and even more helpful people.

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Welcome to the site Jason,:clap:clap Any questions, ask away. You might even get a correct answer :roll:roll

Lots of pictures of your ride please.

:crazy:cheers

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Welcome Jason! What part of Maryland? We have a couple members who live in MD. I'm in Delaware and Virginia is well represented. Hope you can make it to the Fred Totten memorial in Thompson this year. If not we'll have to get together to meet at a cruise someplace.

jd63

Hi, I live just outside Baltimore...but the '63 is in Michigan. What is the Fred Totten event in Thompson?

PAINTJOHN1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Welcome abaord Jason!!! I'm up near Bel Air in Abingdon.You will get a wealth of knowledge on this sight.Plenty of X frame guys here can help you with all your questions.The 63' a good year,been trying to locate a decent one for my next project.The Thompson event is our annual get together.We usually get about 60 or more cars (58-65) together out in Ohio.Usually there is about a 100 different guys that come along for the event as well.You'll learn more about that event as the event gets near. Anyway,when you get some pictures of your car post them. John

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
What is the Fred Totten event in Thompson?

The thread is in the Events section entitled "2011 409 shootout", it's organized by Ray 'Fatride' Barnhart in memory of Fred. Fred was a truly great guy and board member who loved drag racing and these old 348/409 beasts we all love. . Here is a quote by Bill from that thread showing some films from last year's event. It's the second weekend in June.

Just thought I'd peak the interest for this year's event, for anyone that is setting on the fense, trying to decide.

And from 2009

If this don't get you going, you need to have the doctor check your heatbeat !!!! :eek:

Bill

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Hey John, Bel-Air Ohio is where my '62 Chevy car carrier came from . The guy used it for his 1968 Camaro drag car.I remember a small drag strip in Bel-Air where this guy took me and a friend who was buying the Camaro to show him that it ran & ran good before he handed over any cash. My friends trailer took a crap on the way to Bel-Air from Long Island and my friend had no way to get the Camaro back to Long Island so he bought the guy's truck too. The 6 cylinder engine also took a crap in front of my friends house as we pulled into his driveway. So I bought it for $100.00 and had it towed to my house and rebuilt the truck with a '67 327 small block. This was in the early eightys.The truck is in my album showing my '57 on it's back going to Englishtown N.J.

WHO KNEW ???

PAINTJOHN1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Neat story but wrong Bel Air.I live near Bel Air.Md.,in Abingdon,Md. Exit 77B on Interstate 95,about 40 miles from our good ole buddy Dick McKenzie. But I really did enjoy the story. John

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Sorry John, I saw Bel-Air & my thoughts went right to the '62 Chevy car carrier. What a trip !! MY BAD !!!

WENGINE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Welcome abaord Jason:beerbang I wish nothing but good luck with your project car but please explain why the 63 isn't coming home to Maryland were the two of you can spend some real quality time together:scratch:dunno Ken

jd63

The reason the 63 isn't here in MD is cuz I have no garage to keep it in...and there is no way way that I'm gonna let it sit outside here.My plan is to get it running back home then hopefully by then I will have a place here where I can keep it inside.