LED lightbulbs- dash and taillight

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Paul or anyone else who has bought them recently, any update on the best dash bulbs to buy now?

Are there any plug and play rear LED brake/signal/taillight bulbs that you have found.

I’m replacing my dash harness and would like to replace my dash bulbs and taillight bulbs with LEDs, the dash bulbs and idiot lights are the same as in a 63 Impala which is similar to the 62 Chevy. Dash has Signal lights, high beam, hot and cold, and GEN, plus dash lights.

Thanks for any guidance.

Don

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I strongly recommend this flat face style of LED bulb to replace the # 53 & #57 bulbs in the dash. The new number is a # 1895 bulb

The base of the LED bulb must match the originals. Another reason I recommend these flat faced LED bulbs is to fit into the factory
sockets (some of which have interior covers ) on the dash...
Finally the cost is reasonable for 10 bulbs as compared to $ 3.95 for each superbright 3 sided bulb

As I noted above I do not recomment the 3 side LED bulbs for the dash
... Nor does the supplier of the link below (he is a classic car guy)

These LED bulbs are 2-3 times brighter than originals -my 62 SS 409 convertible dash is really bright (including lighting my Stewart Warner oil pressure, water temperature guage and gas gauge (all added to my dash)

You can use the white bulbs for the green turn signal and head lite bright light (red) since both have factory dash covers in green and red
in the dash.
OR you can order green or red LEDs
Green bulbs
red bulbs

I counted 13 LED bulbs on the dash in my 62 -dash lights, oil light, Ignition, heater, turn signal, glove box, bright light bulb, temp indicator (all lit with # 53 and # 57 factory bulbs (new # 1895 base)
you can also use these LED bulbs on 61 and 62 Chevy factory Sun tachs(the 3 sided bulbs will not fit factory Sun tachs)

The brake light light on in the dash is a # 257 bulb which is a flashing light -so a LED will not work
" if you want the light to still flash "................................

Finally I would use this dielectric grease be used on the LED bulb base and even on original factory bulb bases

I have not replaced my tailight and park light bulbs yet -still reviewing what to use I bought some LED bulbs at Goodguys in DesMonies. ---I bought tailight and park light (#1034/#1157 replacments) with flat LED lights just like the dash lights just larger....

Perhaps the 3 sided LED bulbs will be fine for the park lights, tailights, and underdash courtesy lights, and interior lighting

Paul

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Yes all the # 53 # 57 can be used replaced as #1895 even though the # 53 are I think not as bright
A # 67 is the liscence plate light
A # 89 are the 2 courtesy lights under the dash
A # 90 are the 2 interior rear 1/4(sailpanel area) interior lights on 62-64 impala 2 door hardtops
A # 93 is the inside trunk (on the lid) - to light up the trunk

All the factory bulbs #'s and what they are for are listed in each Shop manual (or suppplement in 1962) in the back under Chassis Electrical

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
In ordering from eBay, they add a shipping to each order so if I order some red, green, and white, you get charged for each item ( the vendor does have some mixed colours). For international shipping, this adds up in a hurry. Vendor will bundle them in one shipment and refund the extra shipping.

I haven’t ordered from eBay in a long time, this way of doing things is crap.

Thanks for the help Paul.