Kan Kustom

Hi guys and (gals ?) I build one of a kind hot rod bodies for a living.They are sometimes called phantom bodies.Bodies that could have been built by the manufacturer but never were.I have been working on a new body style and am real close to completion so I pondered what motor would be fitting for my newest pride and joy and decided I wanted to open the hood to a W motor.I have been looking for a W motor for the last couple years.I just found and bought one for my new personal daily driver. It is a 1959 348.At present,a four barrel but I am looking for a tripower for it.I have never owned one of these with the exception of the miniature one that came with my Revell 57 chevy model I built in 1967. I have wanted both a 57 and W motor every since. I now have the motor and though it is going in a 1933 phantom closed cab pickup and not a 57 Chevy,I still anticipate getting a 57 someday. Since getting the motor I have realized that it is a lot harder to find sources of origional and reproduction parts than I thought it would be. Oh well, I love a challenge.Im glad to have found this site and you all will be stuck with me now for I have the bad habit of sticking with things I love forever.Thanks for letting me in! Dennis.

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Hi Dennis, Welcome to the site.:clapLots of info here on the "W" Engines. Some of us even know what we are talking about.:dunno:?:roll. Once you get going on your ride we all would like to see some pictures please.
:crazy:cheers

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Welcome, Dennis....... You may or may not get answers to your questions but I promise you will have a good time here. :cheers

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Multiple carbs

Dennis:

Welcome to the site!

There is lots of collective wisdom on board, ready to respond to your questions and to get you thinking.

Sticking a factory tripower unit on top would look pretty retro, but if I were building a Hot Rod I'd go with one of the aftermarket setups from Offy or some other. There are some 2x4, 4x2 and 6x2 setups that would really set your engine bay off when sitting atop your 348. Plus you get the challenge of making a real sweet matching air breather that sets your build off :).

That said, consider those as options in addition to the factory original tripower setup. It really depends on your preference.

Enjoy!

TomK

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Welcome Dennis!!!!
Don't know where to start with a fellow Emporian!!! Born at Newman Hospital???? I suppose you know Schmiddy, Thurston, TD and Weasel!!!! How long have you lived in Emporia? In case you haven't guessed it.......it's my home town. Graduated from Emporia High and Emporia State!!
Don't know anybody here that could help you with 33 phantom parts but several guys have 55-57's with 348 and 409s in them. You are not very far away from 348 parts either!!!
Welcome to the group!!!

Thanks for the welcome

Thanks for the welcome replies. Phil,I have been in Emporia since 1973. Yes I know the troublemakers you refered too but wouldnt admit it in court if asked. (He He).I dont need any phantom 33 parts. Those are what I make myself.I have a hotrod buisiness called A/ALTERED hot rod parts and make bodies and chassis.You can see what I do on my website www.aaltered.com The 57 Chevy will happen someday also.I am a very patient man. I am excited about the 348.I have been waiting a long time to build a hotrod with one.I bought a bellhousing for one 20 years ago figuring that some day I would get one and it felt pretty good after 20 years to fit the bellhousing to the motor.I also bought a Cragar timing cover for a W motor about 4 years ago with the same anticipation.If buying parts before the motor doesnt say your a W motor nut to stay ,I dont know what would.I will be watching every word you professional W motor guys discuss here so dont make any mistakes. No pressure though. (He He) . Dennis Oh and looking at your signiture about the quart cans in the cylinder. Its hard for me to get excited unless I can stick my fist into the intake runner!And yes I was born at Newman hospital. My dad reseived his Masters degree at Kansas State Teachers College,now ESU then was a school principal over eastern Kansas till he retired.I had an uncle in Emporia that got me a job at the Emporia airport after I graduated High School and have been in Emporia pretty much since then.

bubbletop1961

Well Known Member
Welcome to the site. hope to check out your rides and shop someday. let me know if your in topeka, we will have to get together.

WENGINE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Welcome abaord Dennis :beerbang Looking forward to updates on your build. You dont happen to deal with any steel bodies do you:dunno Ken