Julian or Date Code Info

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
After looking at the information provided on the main page I'm still confused. My 690 heads have E3 82 which is May 3. A Julian date has 3 numbers and date code has something else. What is the 82 as far as year or how to tell year?

The block is TO526QB. I understand that as Tonawanda May 26. QB's were made a couple different years. Do I need to look at the block casting # on the driver's side rear of the block and check that out to verify the year?

Then the serial number is J271976...what's that, just that?

Later

Dave

Last edited:

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Ha, could be. I've got the block figured out, looked back in my files and found a printout of a thread when I joined here in November 09. Paul Stensland, Verne Frantz and Petepeddler weighed in on that. Had some PM's with Petepeddler then...nice guy he was.

I'll check the heads next week sometime, they're AWOL.....

NCPOP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I guess pre Julian so May 3, 1962. It’s always interesting To figure this stuff out.
My 333 409 heads on the 380 are early in the year 62, CFDs and they are Julian.
Also my guess is J271976 is the vin of the original car the engine was in.
Do you know the car it was in?

benchseat4speed

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Yeah that J271976 is the last 7 of the VIN. Very late production Janesville (J) car probably June something since the engine was assembled May 26th.

Not sure when the Julian dates started for W engines, but I'm guessing it was 1-1-63.