jsmay checkin in!

jsmay

Well Known Member
Hey everyone,
Just joined the site, looking forward to learning everything i can about W-motors! I have a 1964 Chevy Belair, its a 2 door with a 300hp 327 and factory 4 speed. I love it. I think its my one real find.... so its not going anywhere. 18k original miles and the best part was i found it less than 2 miles from my house. Enough about that, i also have a real rough but buildable 55' chevy 2 door post. Thats where this site comes in.. i wanna build a 348 for it.. its a gasser build. I have started with a rough but stock 55' now it has a 56's chevy 1/2 ton pickup axle and suspenion up front. Anyway looking forward to learning about 348's!

Jason
-anyone else here from Rochester NY?

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Welcome, Jason.:clap:clap Your cars sound, Kool. Lots of help, concerning 55's with W engines. How about some pictures.:cool:

WENGINE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Welcome aboard Jason:beerbang Cars look great. There are several here that have put Ws in tri 5 Chevies and there has been much talk/posts about the subject but I dont think any of them have started with a whole new set of frame rails up front. This should be interesting. Look forward to your updates and any help I might be able to contribute. Have found a W engine for your project yet:dunno. Ken

jsmay

Well Known Member
Hey Ken thanks! Yes I'm actually going to pick it up tonight.... if it is what its suppose to be. I found a 65' truck block 348. suppose to be a real nice clean complete motor minus the heads... it comes with a set of bare heads.. the motor spins free and the cylinders are to suppose to be mint... and no machine work required...that would be great. As for the 55'...i will update as i go along. i will warn you its gonna be a long term project. I have 3 kids and a house and other non-car projects so... but i do have all the metal need to get the ole 55' back in nice shape. plus i have a 4 spd waiting to go in as well so i mock everything up too. The plan is to set the motor back as much of the 10% rule as i can..I'm make it be as period correct as possible. I think for me doing it this way is the only way... it makes the hunting part more enjoyable and helps spread out the expenes over a longer period too.

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Welcome aboard Jason.:clap I too am doing a tri-five "W" motor install.It's my old drag car from the '70's. A 1957 Chev 2-door delray sedan. I still have the 339 ci long block from back in the day.I sold the heads and tunnel ram w/carbs to help fund the project. My motor is a '64 348 truck motor w/a '61 409 aluminum intake and a edelbrock dursashine 4 barrel carb.t has a '79 Malibu T350 and a '66 chevelle SS console and a '65 impala SS shifter. I kept the '68 Camaro 12 bolt rear from my racing days. I swapped out the 5: 57's for a set of 3:73's. I also installed front power disk brakes from Master Power in N.Carolina. This project is now about 16 years of on & off building and it now has a new Flowmaster exhaust. If you want to, give me a PM and I will be glad to help any way I can. My resto mod was built with what ever I had laying around my garage.Ken,(WENGINE) has helped me also. He is doing a "W" powered '51 Bel-Air. We have been bartering parts & info for about 12 years now.:deal My '57 is pictured in my avatar and my album and Ken's '51 is the one in his avatar.:crazy:cheers:cheers

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Welcome to the site!:beerbang

I've got a 55 Chevy too. We set the engine back, I'm guessing about 4 to 6 inches.:scratch
It wasn't too hard because we used an automatic, it'll be a little more challenging with the 4 speed because the 348/409 engines are pretty wide, you'll have to do a little engineering to fit the extra peddle.
Here's a few pictures.

2007-12-13028cr.jpg

2007-12-13026cr.jpg

2008-07-24015cr-2.jpg

WENGINE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Nice work Jim. I see you also have new chassis rails, is that a graft or a full chassis. Ken