johns 58 car

what causes oil in water issue but no water in oil?

• head gasket

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • oil galley crack

Votes: 3 100.0%

• Total voters

Johns 58 car

IMG005.JPGIMG005.JPG Hey guys and gals. I am a DFW guy with a 58 impala convertible and a 62 vette. I changed the interior of the 58 back in 1967 with buckets, console, roll and pleat and a muncie 220 4 speed and a hurst competition plus shifter. and I built a guage cluster in the center from below the dash panel to the top of the console. The car was stolen and recovered in 1978 and in 80 bought another convertible and used the original car for parts. right now I am having an issue with the 348. I had the engine rebuilt in 2006; sending it to Precision Engines in Houston. Had driven it 600 miles since the rebuild. Radiator overheated and got a hole in the bottom. That was repaired but now there is oil in the cooling system. not a head gasket. Everyone is puzzled. Any ideas?

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
:eek:dunno Does the engine misfire? I'm thinking that ,if it got really hot,possibly a cracked cyl.head.It seems those early,small heads[250-280 hp.] were crack prone.:bang

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Rats,is it oil,or atf [if running an auto matic] ? If it's oil,then the only other thing I can think of would be a crack in the block alowing pressurised oil to leak into the cooling system :bang Could be hard to find,much less fix.If it's atf,the cooler in the radiator may be bad.

oldskydog

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Recently repaired hole in bottom of radiator is a big clue if it's automatic.

Johns 58 car

Rats,is it oil,or atf [if running an auto matic] ? If it's oil,then the only other thing I can think of would be a crack in the block alowing pressurised oil to leak into the cooling system :bang Could be hard to find,much less fix.If it's atf,the cooler in the radiator may be bad.
Hi. well, the block has been magnafluxed and the guy swears that he sees no problem. It was also pressure tested. The radiator was in a car that had an automatic tranny but there is no tranny cooler that can be seen in the radiator. I converted it to 4 speed long ago.

Johns 58 car

Mechanic that disassmebled the engine said he spun the distributor without the heads and a crack appeard in the oil galley in #7 cylinder. He saw oil leaking. Pointed it out to me and I did not see a thing. The magnaflux guy said it did not show up when magnafluxed or pressure tested.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
With oil in the water,there's a hole somewhere in that oiling system where it meets the water jackets.It may require pressurising the oiling system [talk about a "pain"].It could be a "sand hole"or someting,but a .001 size hole equals an oil injecter into your cooling system at 60 psi,or whatever your oil pressuree is.Another option,or question ,HAVE you pi@@ed of some one recenly?Maybe some a-hole removed the radiator cap and added oil to your radiator,just for payback?Stranger things have happened.:crazy