Jason from North Carolina

New guy here from greensboro nc. I've been around 2 different 64 impalas for most of my life. I'm 35 years old and my dad purchased his first 64 impala the year before I started school. So approximately around 82-83? It was a sport coupe with a 283 and swapped in 4 speed and ss interior. He drove that car a few years until it was stolen. Around 87 he found a black 64 ss with the original 327 4 speed and black on black. He purchased that car for $800. Spent a couple of years doing a restoration on it and showed it in local car shows up until 1991. The car that was stolen was recovered in Richmond Virginia at the airport in 1988-or89. Dad was always nervous driving the ss car around so he started restoring the sport coupe as a driver. He never finished it because of life's daily battles with priorities. Fast forward to now, dad has recently retired and with plenty of time on his hands, he has decided to get the ss on the road again. We have put all new brake components on the car, cleaned the fuel tank and all lines, installed a new clutch kit, and new exhaust system. The car purs like a kitten now. The paint and body doesn't look as good as it did, (I suspect the filler has shrank) but it still looks great.
The good news for me is that I've been handed the keys to the sport coupe! I'm stoked. It has a very solid body and floors, and he had stripped the paint and body work to bare metal when he started on it in the mid 90s. It has a coat of red oxide primer on it now. Also he built a 350 that come out of a 70 chevelle with a small cam and aluminum intake. I'm planning on front disk brakes, new fuel tank and lines, all new rear brakes, probably going to sand the red oxide primer off and get everything in a black epoxy primer and drive it! Really can't afford a full resto at the moment and I only have a carport to work in so I plan on just getting it back on the road.

The picture is from last weekend taking the ss on its first road trip since the early 90s

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 48
Thanks for the welcomes guys. Thought I'd share some old photos of both cars.
The first pic was around 1983. I'm the lil guy on the right and my brother is beside me. This is the same red oxide primer car in the previous photos.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 24
Here's a pic of the super sport in 88-89 this was the first car show he took it to. This was at allegheny high school in Sparta NC. They used to have a very large car show there every year.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 24

nomad59NZ

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
G'day, :yup, u picked a good time to come in as we are all alone with everyone now at the great bend convention is :wah
And we aren't'.
Enjoy a great site.

Gav