I'm new here

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Hi everyone, I've been browsing for a while and thought I'd might join. I have a '56 Chevy that I put a '61 348 in. I've had some questions along the way about the "W" engine but its been hard to get an answer. I belong to some other forums which are very good but don't really address this engine. So, thats it. Thanx for having me, Carmine.

Last 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Welcome Carmine! Many answers from many members, just ask away !

Lonnie

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Welcome Carmine!!! We have some very knowledgeable guys here who can probably answer any question you come up with!!

PS: I'm not one of them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Welcome Carmine.:clap Great group here and lots of info on the "W" engine. :hugEnjoy the ride. I too have a 348 in my old '57 drag car ( NHRA D-GAS ) Raced in the early 70s to late 80s.here on Long Island.N.Y. I would be very interested in how you did your install to compare with my install. I have a 79 Malibu TH350 trans and the '68 Camaro 12 bolt race rear with 3:73 posi gears. The picture in my avatar is the car without the front end sheet metal . Lots of pictures please.

:crazy:cheers

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Welcome Carmine - Please keep your arms and legs inside the ride at all times... Hold on tight and be prepared, for the knowledge contained here, for it is vast !!!

Welcome and ask away

Bill

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Welcome Carmine.:clap Great group here and lots of info on the "W" engine. :hugEnjoy the ride. I too have a 348 in my old '57 drag car ( NHRA D-GAS ) Raced in the early 70s to late 80s.here on Long Island.N.Y. I would be very interested in how you did your install to compare with my install. I have a 79 Malibu TH350 trans and the '68 Camaro 12 bolt race rear with 3:73 posi gears. The picture in my avatar is the car without the front end sheet metal . Lots of pictures please.

I should tell you that the 348 is in a '56 Chevy 2d wagon that I'm making a straight axle gasser out of. Its almost finished. I wanted a different engine so I chose the 348. Originally wanted a 409 but a bit pricey for me. I had the 348 bored .30 over and had a 454 bbc crank with a 4" stroke installed. Ross made the pistons and used 396 rods. Isky hydraulic cam with Edelbrock aluminum heads and intake. The install was a headache. I wanted over the frame rail headers and the pass. side fit well. The driver side not so good. The 3 and 5 tube hit the stock steering box. Had to move the engine forward about 2 inches. Made the motor mounts and had them welded to the frame. Partially took apart the header and had to redesign the tubes and weld everything back together. I'm still not happy with the header. My welding is absolutely terrible even after grinding. I'm thinking about sending it to Sanderson and have them build one identical for me. Just wondering, how that 348 held us for racing?? What kind of time/speed did you run with that '57?? This car hasn't left the driveway yet but it sounds and feels pretty good. I'm going to have it dynoed when its ready. It will be interesting to see what HP it has. I also have among others, a '57 Belair 406 sbc with a 671 BDS blower that I restored. It really gets the job done. No more hole shots though. I'm tired of breaking spring perches. Carmine.

BSL409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
I should tell you that the 348 is in a '56 Chevy 2d wagon that I'm making a straight axle gasser out of. Its almost finished. I wanted a different engine so I chose the 348. Originally wanted a 409 but a bit pricey for me. I had the 348 bored .30 over and had a 454 bbc crank with a 4" stroke installed. Ross made the pistons and used 396 rods. Isky hydraulic cam with Edelbrock aluminum heads and intake. The install was a headache. I wanted over the frame rail headers and the pass. side fit well. The driver side not so good. The 3 and 5 tube hit the stock steering box. Had to move the engine forward about 2 inches. Made the motor mounts and had them welded to the frame. Partially took apart the header and had to redesign the tubes and weld everything back together. I'm still not happy with the header. My welding is absolutely terrible even after grinding. I'm thinking about sending it to Sanderson and have them build one identical for me. Just wondering, how that 348 held us for racing?? What kind of time/speed did you run with that '57?? This car hasn't left the driveway yet but it sounds and feels pretty good. I'm going to have it dynoed when its ready. It will be interesting to see what HP it has. I also have among others, a '57 Belair 406 sbc with a 671 BDS blower that I restored. It really gets the job done. No more hole shots though. I'm tired of breaking spring perches. Carmine.

Sounds like a great build you sure would fit right in at Thompson with that Gasser how far away are you? Would also like to see some photos please

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Hi Carmine , I had a 67 327 vette engine in my '57 since 1969 I went through 2 motors since I had the car. It was a 327 .060 over / 283 crank / 12 to 1 jahns pistons / 5.7 " alumimum rods / Chevy powerbook heads (cast 340292 ) open chamber angle plug. Edy Tunnel ram with Holley 660 cfm carbs / Accel B.E.I.dizzy / Borg Warner super T-10 4 speed trans / 68 Camaro 12 bolt rear with 6:17 gears ( Blew that to pieces ) went to 5:57 gears ( They stayed together ) went on e-bay / now it has a 3:73 posi for the street. My wife and I had a blast with this car over the years and decided that we should put it on the street instead of just looking at it. I quit racing back in 87 due to an incident at the track. (Management issues ) The car went a best of 12:15 127 Mph.I never went full bore racing every weekend with the car and always had fun with it. I am still working on the '57 after almost 16 years . My wife and I did everything but the machine work ourselves. It is now a driver still needing minor upgrades to make i streetworthy It now has Chevelle power disc brakes. Saving up for a Pinto or Mustang 2 r& p steering. My drag racing days are over , too expensive and too nerve racking for me.I'm going to be 69 this year and I'm having a blast. (Been there ...Done that. ):deal

Attachments

• PictureKodak easy share photos 698.jpg
    PictureKodak easy share photos 698.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 0
  • PictureKodak easy share photos 700.jpg
    PictureKodak easy share photos 700.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 1
  • PictureKodak easy share photos 701.jpg
    PictureKodak easy share photos 701.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 0
  • PictureKodak easy share photos 702.jpg
    PictureKodak easy share photos 702.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 0
  • PictureKodak easy share photos 703.jpg
    PictureKodak easy share photos 703.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 0
  • PictureKodak easy share photos 1001.jpg
    PictureKodak easy share photos 1001.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 0

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Sounds like a great build you sure would fit right in at Thompson with that Gasser how far away are you? Would also like to see some photos please

I live in upstate NY. About 65 miles north of NYC. I promise to post some pics. It is a good build, thank you. Funny thing, it was the machine shop guys idea to bore and stroke the 348. We did it about a year before I think it was Car Craft, came out with the same idea. Only difference they used a solid cam and maybe something else, not sure, but they dynoed about 515 hp if memory serves me.

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Carmine, you should plan a trip down to Thompson, OH for the 1st - 3rd of June and join us for a really great weekend of fun and racing. Just a short hope and skip for you from NYC, I'm driving 2500 miles to be there. You can meet and greed with some of the real experts on "W" motor and see some really, really fast cars...

Bill

RCE1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4

Carmine

Aside from the fitment issues...which you are correcting...this sounds like it will be a really great car. If you haven't read them yet...there have been some 348 engine projects here on this forum that have made very good power. Love those gasser draggin wagons!!!

RCE1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Welcome Carmine - Please keep your arms and legs inside the ride at all times... Hold on tight and be prepared, for the knowledge contained here, for it is vast !!!

Welcome and ask away

Bill

Love that avatar Bill !!!!!!!

Ron

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Welcome aboard Carmine,

I don't race, but your build sounds interesting, with the steering box, the guys with tri 5's, is a rack and pinion setup an option ?

cheers

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Welcome aboard Carmine,

I don't race, but your build sounds interesting, with the steering box, the guys with tri 5's, is a rack and pinion setup an option ?

cheers

I'm not sure about the rack and pinion option. I found my car in Montana and had it shipped to NY. I always wanted to make a straight axle gasser out of a '56 Chevy 2d wagon. If you can believe it, the car only had about 4900 original miles on it. Sat since 1965. Though it needed work, it was too nice to cut the front frame off or radius the rear wheel wells. Besides, not knowing if I was going to like the handling and ride, I decided to leave it in a condition that I could return it to in stock form if I had to. I'm self taught with most things so I had to be careful with what I did to this car. Therefore, I left the stock steering box which created its own problems with the motor and headers. No regrets yet, but check with me tomorrow LOL, Carmine.

BSL409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Carmine,
We need some PHOTOS:scratch please and hope you can make it to Thompson next weekend:dunno