I'm Mark in Oregon w/ 61 Impala convert 348

LowKat

Well Known Member
Hi guys. I'm new to the full size Chevys. Just picked up a 61 Impala convertible from the 2nd owner that sat in a barn for the last 35 years. Has 80,000 miles. Came with a ton of new parts and the only original thing it was missing is the air cleaner.

So far I've cleaned the interior and installed some new carpet. Sanded off the primer, did prep and some paint patch work. Then some buffing.

DSC07938  SMALL.JPG DSC08025 50 SMALL.JPG DSC08027 50 SMALL.JPG DSC08017 50 SMALL.JPG

LowKat

Well Known Member
I cheated and showed you the best side first. No better way to make a car look good than take a picture of it. Car needs a wheel arch / lower quarter patch on the passenger side. Previous owner patched it with tin cans, rivets and fiberglass. I'm gonna throw some Bondo on it for now until I can find a good original lower quarter.

Repro panels are available but takes 3 pieces to get from the door opening to the bumper. Does anybody know if the length from the front of the rear wheel opening to the rear bumper is the same on a 4 door car? I think I know where to get a decent 4 door q-panel locally. That would cut it down to a 2 piece repair. I have a feeling an original 2 door quarter is very expensive since they're not reproduced.

Nice 61. Where abouts in Oregon?

Between Oregon City and Beavercreek.

Mark

DSC08043 50 SMALL.JPG

409newby

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Mark looks like we live just a few miles from each other, will have to hook up sometime Pat

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Welcome aboard Mark. Nice score on the convert. Yes the 4-door quarter will work to make your repairs.

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
That's a great underhood shot for future reference, with exception of the heater hoses having been replaced that car is pretty original. Good reference for correct pulleys and brake booster etc

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Mark,

Welcome to the zoo... That looks to be a great project to restore and it sounds like you know what it needs. Welcome aboard and remember to keep your arms and legs inside the ride at all times ! :crazy

From Idaho
Bill