I finally located a posi unit :)

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
I have been searching for a good deal on a posi unit for one of my X frame cars, and I seem to be just too stubborn to cough up the dough and bid on one via Ebay, thinking eventually I'd stumble upon one in a bone yard or a parts car. Well, after locating and acquiring no less than 4 1961s and 4 1962s, I finally scored on the ninth try. If this works included is a pic of the vehicle with that aftermarket unit. Not sure what it is as yet, but it's not a factory P case. It is some sort of aftermarket piece. Need to pull the axles and pop the unit to examine it.

Neat thing about it was that it came wrapped in a '62 two door sedan. While I am tempted to snag a few good solid parts from the car (good LH fender, good trunk deck, good RH inner fender well where that battery corrosion always seems to occur, and of course, that posi unit), it might have some potential as a rebuilder. I need to get it up on a lift and make a good evaluation of it first. Pans are solid, as is the trunk. Rockers are a bit corroded, as are the rear wheel wells and the supports that tack on to the pans. I got this for less than the price of a rebuilt P code posi unit, and it was only an hour away :)

What would you do with this thing if you had it at your place?

Best,
Tom K

Attachments

• 1962 bel air 2 door post2.jpg
    1962 bel air 2 door post2.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 345

bobs409

Administrator
I sure as hell wouldn't part it out Tom! I know pics can be decieving but that looks really decent. Do whatever it takes to keep her alive and kickin'. :) Take what parts you want but find someone who will fix what's left.

They haven't made '62 Chevy's for a very long time now, we need to save those that survived this long. With the parts that are available today, alot of them can be saved.

JokersBel

Banned
I agree with Bob, the obvious parts cars of yesterday are today's projects and should be saved. (Just send them my way-I like a challenge!) 20-30 years from now when there are no projects left, we'll kick ourseleves in the A** for parting them now.

I'm kicking myself now becasue just this Thursday a 64 Impala 4-door hardtop was in the local paper here. $600. I went and looked, but the seller wasn't there. I had to leave town for the weekend and when I came back-GONE! Man, I wanted that car! Original 283 that ran great, power steering complete, power brakes complete and a decent interior! I was dreaming that it had a posi, but probably not. Oh well...Jim

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
1964 "more door"

Funny you should mention that, JokersBel. The guy had a one owner 4 door 1964 Chevy with low miles he tried to get me interested in, but I told him I had sooo many projects and that one just didn't fit in (I don't collect 4 door cars).

If interested, I can follow up. It's a low mileage driveable auto (according to him) and he said it was in good condition. I was not able to view it as it was not there at the time.

Let me know!

TomK

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Evaluation time

I am definitely not going to chop this baby up!

All I really wanted was the posi unit, but I really like the looks of this car from the outside. I plan to take Wednesday off and put her up on the lift ot remove the axles and the posi unit. I will be evaluating the strength and integrity of the underside and will make a decision on whether to set her aside for future fun or whatever.

I did find that the previous owner had installed a left front fender that has no previous rust (not from the original car). I also covet the inner left wheel well (the one that always gets corroded by battery acid). The trunk is nice as well (best one out of the four I already have). Plus it appears that the six pieces of trim, which are in excellent condition, might be the same dimensions as those of a bubbletop (which I am in the process of restoring from scratch). Not bad in terms of easy "donations".

Today I picked her up and bolted 4 aluminum slots on her (so you know I'm not gonna cut her up!). She's still on the trailer from hauling her home. One suggestion made to me was to make it a drag car. That might be interesting. I might just go into "partnership" with my more mechanically inclined buddies and slip that 509 GM crate motor in this one...

Will keep you posted as things develop. Trust me I will not destroy this one by parting i tout unless it is absolutely beyond saving :)

Cheers,

Tom K

JokersBel

Banned
Yeah Tom, i'd be interested. Depending on price of course. I'd really just like to have something to drive the rest of the summer/fall. It doesn't even have to be pretty. Just solid enough to drive around town and up to the airport. I almost bought a 50 Chevy pickup, but the auction ended Saturday, again while I was out of town. I was going to install my Biscayne six in it as it had no engine in the truck. Wow, guess I missed out on two buys in one weekend!

What is that 64's asking price? Thanks...let me know.

Jim

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Riddle: When is a posi not a posi???

Answer:

When some !@##$#$%#$%^#$% asshole welds the internals of an open unit and calls it a "Detroit locker" :( :( :(

This is what I discovered when I put the '62 two door post car up on the lift this afternoon and pulled the axles to have a look at the unit. IMHO people who do this and try to pass this as something else ought to be taken out and shot. Actually that might be too nice....

The primary reason I purchased this vehicle was for this unit. And the guy totally mislead me in both our conversations and when I went to fetch the car. What a bunch of BS...

Not being the sort of person that goes after a cheating SOB, I figured I'd take my licks and make something of a not-so-desirable situation. Not only was the car quite a bit more corroded that advertised ("solid Texas car underneath, not like these Midwest cars" -- yeah, right!) but the more we probed the worse it got. Oh well, I wasn't as big an investment as TMRacing's Mershon's deal, but nevertheless it was a bit disappointing.

So I decided to take a few pieces off of it (seats, trim, antenna) and give the rest of it to my mechanic buddy who wants to make it into a drag car. I plan to stay involved and learn how to make a cage, tub it and put a real rear end under it, and just plain have fun. Plans are to put that 502-turned-509 into it and maybe make a few runs down the quarter mile next season. Michael, if that offer to share tube structure is still valid, I'd be interested in learning more. I can give you my FAX# if that helps: (573) 875-8667

Live and learn. At least I don't have to deal with that guy's Karmic debt. Being an optimist and living by the adage "Have a reason for everything you do, and do everything right" I will survive this unfortunate event. What the hell, now I get to be the initial "donor" and a financial partner in a drag car, which is what all my buddies like to do :)

Cheers,
Tom K

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
No hurry

Michael:

No hurry. We just came up with the idea yesterday, and the deal was that we wouldn't let it get in the way of our other projects. Looks like a fun thing to do during cold winter nights :)

This weekend we are taking apart one of my 4 door cars (have plasma cutter, will try to be gentle). About 4 of us are going to assemble Saturday morning and start taking a '62 four door donor apart. It'll be shades of Jesse James and his crew of fabricatros, except we will be saving the good parts. I'm sooo stingy I plan to save EVERYTHING! Even the four doors and the seats, just in case....

The objective is to have a rolling frame by the end of the day (or maybe Sunday evening if the adult beverages begin late Saturday afternoon). I'm even getting my two teenagers involved (so they can get in touch with their feminine side of using a plasma cutter). Family fun, and lots of parts to save. I bet I even cut the floor boards out just in case I need patches...

Cheers!

Tom K