How easy or hard is it

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The connecting rod you use can have considerable affect. It will/may need clearancing notches in the bottom of the cylinder just below the pan rail. I did a 3.76 stroke (396 crank) a couple years ago with Eagle SIR rods and had to barely touch a couple spots. It was a used package that came thru here. Anything I do new will be using Molnar rods. You can see the notches below, 4" crank, 4.380 bore.
Jeff

Attachments

• splayed cap 2.jpg
    splayed cap 2.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 28

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I'm not doing one but Showcars sells a kit and someone had ask about it and I was wondering if the bugs were worked out since they don't seem very experienced

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Just like murph said. An I beam rod would likely need a minimum notching. H beam with 7/16 bolts would need the bores notched and if using a 348 pan it may get need to be bumped out in a few places especially under the 1-2 rods. Not a big deal.

alexm900

Well Known Member
It's been some time but the engine I have is originally a 348 with the 4" stroker kit from Jack, assembled by Akers. The Eagle crank was a bit rough out of the box but got fixed eventually. The build is under post titled '1959 El Camino 348 Stroker', and iirc no major hurdles.

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I did Scat 4" kits in a 348 and a 409, I had to create clearance for the 348 655 block, the 409 814 block was OK.
both stroke kits came with different style rods, I did this 3 years ago and can't remember what rods were in both engines. so wasn't sure if 1 set of rods gave more clearance than the other set.