hlhpa- Nut cracker

Howard Hull

Well Known Member
I have been restoreing a 1959 dragster, called the Nut Cracker. It currently has a '56 Buick 322 engine in it. Back in the '60s a big brother to one if the guys I ran with had a stroked 348 in a rail. I've looked for that rail but have not found it. So I am going to try and create it. I am a hot rodder by birth and a Chevy Lover by choice. I enjoy bringing to life old engines and makeing them work , not just a static display. I have a 348 engine, but people keep telling me to find a 409 to start with because parts are about the same price. and when your done a 409 has more value. I will use a 6X2 manifold,because it fits the era of the early '60s, so I will be limited the intake size and must use smaller heads. Has anyone ever welded to the intake ports of the manifold so it will seal with the bigger heads? If I use a stroker engine will the heads greatly influence performance? I am not looking for every last ounce of HP. Generally small ports build a lot of low RPM torque.
So I am looking for a 409 short block, to start my project.
You can see the current dragster run at the HAMB site and type in Eruption in search. Go to the2009, 2010 and 2011 for video clips. Or 2012 for pictures.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Hi,Howard,and welcome to the "zoo"! You can use the "big port "heads on a 348,but all the 6x2 intakes I'm aware of are for the small port heads.One of our members is making over 470 hp,ona stock stroked 409,with a flat-tappet cam.He started with the 333 truck heads.I see no reason for a stroked 348 not to make enough power to push that dragster down thw track rather smartly,as I had an old altered with a very mild small block that would run 10.70's at 121 mph on pump gas.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Howard:

Welcome aboard! Glad to learn that you are considering a transplant.

You choice to include multiple carbs should make for an interesting build. Whether a stroked 409 or a stroked 348, that build will turn some heads :).

Good luck in your pursuits!

TomK

BSL409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Welcome aboard,
I think just driving one of those old front engine dragster might be a nut cracker if some thing evers blows:eek

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
attachment.php

Whoever owns it Jim, its cool. It looks rather light.

Don

Howard Hull

Well Known Member
Wow,thank you all for the great welcome. Yes, that is the dragter,98" wheelbase, and your nuts are right over the old 1940 rearend. If I could make that kind of horsepower I'd be thrilled. I just picked up two 348's today. One has date codes of 1960 on the intake. It is cold and wet out here in the Pacific NW, so I'll get more numbers in a few days. What size cam do you recommend, since I have the smaller heads and I, that'am useing the 6X2's?
You can see some of the runs on You tube, type in Cuseccc,that is my son's sight, so you will see my grand kids also, but gravitate towards Toutle and you will find the dragster and my flame throwing mini bike.
Howard

Howard Hull

Well Known Member
Hi,Howard,and welcome to the "zoo"! You can use the "big port "heads on a 348,but all the 6x2 intakes I'm aware of are for the small port heads.One of our members is making over 470 hp,ona stock stroked 409,with a flat-tappet cam.He started with the 333 truck heads.I see no reason for a stroked 348 not to make enough power to push that dragster down thw track rather smartly,as I had an old altered with a very mild small block that would run 10.70's at 121 mph on pump gas.

Now can you put 206 valves in the 333 heads? Or do you just keep the 194 valves. do you know what cam that guy is useing? I here a lot of different talk about what will work. Now I don't have the heavy car to deal with, and I do have a standard trans. and 5500 would be fine for RPM, and I don't want so much over lap that it drains off compression, and also not woried about vacuum, so hopefully that is not to wondering of thoughts.
Thanks for you input. Howard

Howard Hull

Well Known Member
Every one has been very helpful, lots of my qustions are already answered in other posts. thanks for the phone calls. You guys are a wealth of information.