Hi All im joncarmel just got 62 ss 409. Enjoying your post.trying to decode trim tag ,could use help!!!9

Carl 1962

Well Known Member
Welcome Joncarmel, I assume you bought it from Streetside Classics. First of all, this car is a bubbletop conversion which means that it has had it's original Impala roof cut off and a bubbletop roof grafted on. It's become quite a popular conversion, but it's not an original SS Impala. This car has its original VIN (21847S150352), which is for a V8 Impala sport coupe built at St Louis in the 1st week December 1961. The cowl tag on the other hand is a reproduction tag containing many mistakes. The original Impala body number was copied off the original Impala tag (SL 13800) which is correct for an Impala sport coupe built at St Louis in the 1st week December 61. The original Impala paint might have been Honduras maroon, but the trim number is for an SS Impala convertible with black bucket seats and is a major error by whomever stamped the new tag. I bet that the original Impala was not an SS or the new tag would have just used the same code for a sport coupe black bucket seat interior.

The ACC codes on this fake tag are a joke. SS-K is a code used ONLY on Flint built cars (not used by St Louis) and it does NOT mean that the car is an SS with a 409, (internet myth) which is obviously why this car's builder put it on this tag. SS-K is actually two codes that Flint stamped on their tags, with the "SS" being the code for Super Sport and the "K" is for a tinted windshield, but these two codes do not belong on a car built in St Louis. Stamping 1837 on the ACC line is also a nonsense, and was probably done to try and make unsuspecting buyers think it was done by Fisher as an Impala bubble top like the 1961 code, but that's ridiculous. EZI is probably the only ACC code that the original Impala tag had and means it had tinted glass.

I hope you're ok with it being a bubbletop conversion, because as long as you're ok with that just drive it and enjoy it.