Help, I need a water pump!

348NUT

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I thought I could get a rebuilt water pump from NAPA, but they can't get one anymore.:( I just looked it up in Show Cars and they want $160!:eek: Is there a place to get one reasonable or should I just rebuild mine myself? I have access to a press but have never rebuilt one before. Any ideas? The early small block pump uses the same guts right? Please help. I'm trying not to get upset as this is my NO STRESS project.:D NUT

348NUT

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I dug up a couple of old water pump posts from the old forum and Tim(SSpev) said he bought a remanufactured small block pump, took out the new parts and put them in his W pump with no problems. Does this sound good to you guys? I can have a small block pump delivered to my door with no shipping and I'm sure they aren't too expensive. I'm also sure i can figure out how to get it apart with out destroying it. Give me some opinions here guys. I've been known not to listen to opinions, but I like to hear them anyway.:D NUT

348NUT

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Hey, I'm not the one who got a 348/4spd for free. You guys can still talk to me.:) Can't they Bob? I'll keep replying to myself for now. :p I ordered a early small block pump from NAPA for $16.69 (with our company discount) I hope I 'm heading in the right direction. NUT

bobs409

Administrator
Yeh, I guess they can. :p :D Or you can keep talking to yourself if you want. ;)

As long as the small block pump your getting has the removable rear plate, I would think it should be an easy job. I never did one myself. I just checked my records and I bought my water pump from LGC's for $35.00! That's going back to the late 80's give or take. I can't believe they go for $160 now! :eek:

You might also check CH Enterprises website. http://www.mr409.com He mentions what parts interchange from small/big block and the w-motor and I think mentions the water pump. It's in the FAQ section.

tripowerguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I can still buy a rebuilt water pump from O'Rielly's for 50.00 bucks. I was looking at a Classic Impala catalog last night and they had the rebuild kit for 60.00 dollars. 160.00 dollars seems way out of line. I guess I need to go to O'Rielly's and buy another one for a spare. The rebuilders don't want you to rebuild your own, so the parts are priced accordingly. In Aldus Huxley's book " Brave New World", it is against the law to repair or rebuild anything. Roy

ElkyBob

Supporting Member 1
Water Pump

Just checked my Summer 2003 catalog for Kanter which is out in Boonton NJ, they show one for $95 plus $25 core charge.

www.kanter.com or 800-526-1096.

Gerry

Supporting Member 1
RE; WATER PUMP.

Nut, what we do around here is take the old pump to the rebuilder and let them do the cleaning and reassembly. Usually about $25.00. If you have a local parts store that is cooperative, they will send it to the rebuilder for you.

SSpev

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
rebuilt water pump

My water pump was rebuilt from SBC pump parts off the shelf. The idea for ordering a sbc pump and useing its guts was given to me by Curt Harvey when I asked about a rebuild kit. My pump is still fully functional. The shop manuals show how to press them apart and rebuild. Keep us posted on how it works out. Thats TOM not tim ;)

348NUT

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
My only problem now is I don't have a shop manual :rolleyes: Any pointers? It seams straight forward enough. I'm not worried about getting the measurements right, I just don't want to break the housing or screw up the new parts. I'll be taking the old pump apart tonight and doing the rest tommmorow night when I get the new pump. Thanks, NUT

348NUT

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Well, the rebuild was a success :) I purchased a rebuilt small block pump for $16.00 and took the shaft, seals, and bearing out of it and put it in my 348 pump. Brought it up to 180 degrees and 15 psi with no leaks. It wasn't all that easy though. First thing I did was bust the small block housing from pressing on the wrong place. No biggy though as I have other cores. Once I got the two pumps apart I realized that the cast iron W impeller is better designed and bigger than the stamped steel one in the small block and I'd need to swap them also. The sturdy cast one came off easily but the flimsy stamped one just folded up and then popped off it's hub :mad: To avoid damaging the seal, I had to take a hack saw to the hub to relieve it from the shaft. This did work and the bearing and impeller assembly went into the W pump just fine, but when I pressed the new fan hub back on I got it crooked and trashed it. :mad: Then I tried to put back on the used hub put it was loose on the shaft! :eek: Now I'm getting a little worried. I went to the parts shed and found an old small block pump and pressed off that hub. Then carefully aligned it and pressed it on to my W pump to the correct height and it fit perfectly. :) This whole process took three hours. I could do it again it about one. :rolleyes: If anyone wants to try this cheap method, make sure you have a good press with good steel shims for support and a good square punch. Some printed instructions would help so maybe a rebuild kit would be better than the small block pump. I'd do it again but only because I'm so cheap :D and I like to do things myself. Oh and make sure you have a couple extra pumps laying around before doing this and be careful with that W pump! They don't make those anymore! :p Thanks agian for all advice given in this thread. NUT