Hello, newbie hope to contribute!

Don CM

My name is Don, I don't have a 348/409 right now, but did have an unrestored 58 Impala 2dr ht that won the unrestored class at, I think, the 1996 Impala Assoc nationals in Spearfish SD.

I am on a quest to stop the incorrect rumor that the 348/409 was initially a truck engine. Does anyone here remember Fran Preve? He passed away some years ago but he worked at the Tonawanda Engine plant and was the acknowledged expert on the 348/409 at the time. He showed me the actual paper documentation that traced the origins of the beloved "W" head 348/409, and nowhere is it called a truck engine. The very first document mentioning a bigger engine after the 265 small block was approved, mentions the need for that bigger engine and that expected production was something like 10 times the number of car engines as truck engines, and both were mentioned at the same time. No mention of building a "truck" engine, but just like almost all engines before or since, it was intended from day one as a dual purpose engine, with the majority going into cars.

One of Fran's Pet Peeves, from Fran Preve (fun to say that) :) was to get this incorrect information about the 348/409 corrected. His widow still has that documentation to the best of my knowledge. IN fact Fran was a friend of mine, and used my unrestored '58 as a guide, to help build a display engine for the Tonawanda factory. Because my engine had never been painted, he could see what was and was not painted, and how all the parts were plated or presented.

Anyway, I just read that the Muscle Car and Corvette Nationals coming up November 21-22 in Rosemont, IL is going to have a feature on the 409 and their article in their publication promoting the show, once again, incorrectly calls this engine a "truck" engine. To be exact, the quote is: "The 409 may have been based on the 348 cubic inch truck engine that was introduced in 1958, but nobody can dispute the impact it has made on our sport.

It is high time that this engine gets the correct recognition as a car engine first and truck engine second. In fact this site repeats it, I would invite the people in charge to contact me to talk about this.

I would ask everyone here to tell people this story, and set straight, anyone publishing the wrong story.

Don

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Welcome to the site. You'll get to know us better the longer you hang around. Fran was a member. Who's in charge here anyway? Bob, get on this. :D

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Welcome to the site Don. :beer

Yeah, it seems like almost every article you read says the W motor was designed as a truck engine.
Sometimes those articles also say that the W motor got it's name because of the shape of the valve covers. Most of the guys involved with W motors know that isn't where the name came from.

I don't really know when the W motor got tagged with the "truck engine" handle, but it was a long time ago.
It's fair to say that the engine was intended for both passenger cars and trucks, but I think saying that it was mainly designed as a truck engine is wrong.
The regular BBC that replaced it, has many similarities to the W motor but nobody seems to refer to it as a truck engine. :dunno
I think it's also fair to say that the BBC was used as a truck engine just as often as the W motor was.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
It has never offended me personally when someone at a car show or at the strip refers to the W engine as a truck engine. I don't see what difference it makes one way or the other. It gets a little upsetting when you try and explain things to the uninformed and they want to argue the point. After all, there you are an owner of the disputed car/engine and you are arguing with an uniformed knot head which he or she knows noting about. You just can't win an argument with someone like that. I have learned to just agree with them and say, oh yeah, I never knew that. They look so pleased.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
It has never offended me personally when someone at a car show or at the strip refers to the W engine as a truck engine. I don't see what difference it makes one way or the other. It gets a little upsetting when you try and explain things to the uninformed and they want to argue the point. After all, there you are an owner of the disputed car/engine and you are arguing with an uniformed knot head which he or she knows noting about. You just can't win an argument with someone like that. I have learned to just agree with them and say, oh yeah, I never knew that. They look so pleased.
Just tell them yeah it's a truck engine ,but it haul's ass!!!!!!!:D

Jim409_Pontiac

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
(In fact this site repeats it, I would invite the people in charge to contact me to talk about this.)
I think you will find people on this site who say this are doing so toung in cheek the same way they jokingly refer to them as boat anchors.
We have some very fast and reliable" truck boat ancors" in this group.
:laugh2

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
It has been the case that some "W" engines found themselves as reliable motivation for certain industrial and farming applications. Some of my "rural" friends often ask me how my "pig hauler" is running. Those that have ridden with me know the answer :).

Cheers!
TomK

Don CM

Thanks everyone for the welcome and many comments. Glad to see that the documentation is in good hands.