Hello from NC. New to the 348 world

1963c-10

Well Known Member
427-3.jpg Hello all. My name is Jon and I'm from NC. My passion is 60-63 chevy trucks, most specifically 63's. I currently have two works in progress. A 63 short bed stepside that I'm installing a 427 big block into, 3 speed borg warner t-16 HD 3 speed and 12 bolt posi. My other project is whats brought me to this forum...a 63 short fleetside that I've picked up a 348 for. Will be a 2 speed powerglide truck and 12 bolt posi as well. I've already learned a lot just in research on this forum and looks like a great group of guys. I'm sure to have tons of questions as I've always been a straight 6 cyl and IV gen big block guy, but the 348/409 scene is completely new to me. I spend most of my time on the 67-72chevytrucks.com site, but looking forward to learning more about these builds also. Thanks for looking.

Last edited:

1963c-10

Well Known Member
348 3.jpg 348.jpg Once I figure out how to load pics I'll get some up of the 348.

So far this is what I have.
Block 375501 K 17 58 T 1121G
Intake 373267 K 19 58
Exhaust (pass)3732794 (driver)37332793
Heads 3781147 A 3 61

Looks like someone has upgraded the heads at some point and its a complete engine minus the alternator mounts (hopefully they can be sourced). I have already gotten the trans off. And will be pulling the intake and heads maybe this week or next week. I'm in the process of converting my 63 step side to dick brakes and hydraulic clutch, so my multi project time is limited.

The 348 and 409 were factory optioned in the 63 trucks, but I only see them in the larger series trucks, so I thought it'd be fun to install a 1st gen big block in my 1/2 ton.

How good of a combination is the block/heads that I have. Looks like the block was a standard 348, but the heads were a higher HP version. Would they have bolted on with no modifications to the crank, rods & pistons?

Last edited:

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Welcome aboard. I also have a 63' SWB Custom Cab. It also has a BBC Mark VI though. The 348 will look right at home in your 63'. I have been thinking of the same thing.

502drivers side.jpg

1963c-10

Well Known Member
63\'s 2.jpg Thanks for the response and great looking truck. Glad there are some truck guys here too. I'm still trying to figure out the picture loading. But heres a few of my 63 herd. 63\'s.jpg

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Welcome from middle GA. Nice pics....we are looking forward to more. What part of NC are you in? A few of us just got together this weekend from the south eastern states and are hoping to start doing so at least once a year. :welcome

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
:welcomeI cant read the head numbers from your pictures,but yes,the later high performance heads will bolt on.Are your block casting isnt 5011?I would rethink the Powerglide trans from a performance perspective,the 3 or 4 speed automatics are much better for performance,even behind a stock engine.

1963c-10

Well Known Member
Yes, the block is a 375011, sorry about that. The 1147's were already on the engine when I purchased it. On the casting # info I found on this site said that the heads required special pistons with larger relief notches for the valves.

1963c-10

Well Known Member
:welcomeI cant read the head numbers from your pictures,but yes,the later high performance heads will bolt on.Are your block casting isnt 5011?I would rethink the Powerglide trans from a performance perspective,the 3 or 4 speed automatics are much better for performance,even behind a stock engine.

I know the 3 & 4 speeds would function better. But I want a fairly stock set up with maybe a 325-350hp out of the 348. I have a factory 2 speed auto column for the 63 already as it started as a 3 speed manual column shift. I have plenty of performance coming out of the 427 that's going in the stepside, so the fleetside will mainly be a local cruiser. I do very little on the highway.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Well your hp goals are easily attainable with minor modifications to the stock engine platform.Bigger valves,higher compression,a modern hyd flat tappet cam,Edelbrock intake and carb.,bigger exhaust manifolds.will easily get you there.

1963c-10

Well Known Member
Well your hp goals are easily attainable with minor modifications to the stock engine platform.Bigger valves,higher compression,a modern hyd flat tappet cam,Edelbrock intake and carb.,bigger exhaust manifolds.will easily get you there.
Thanks, that's what I was hoping to hear. I've noticed the 348/409 parts are a little more expensive than the usual big block parts I buy. But I got the 348 and powerglide for $500 which I thought was fair. I'll probably go to a newer aluminum powerglide though.....that cast iron one was heavy. I've removed the trans and all the non-essential stuff that was on the engine, cut radiator hoses and loose wiring...etc. So far it all looks good. Fuel pump will need rebuilt/replaced as will the distributor. Water pump will need the same. I've only found 1 broken bolt and that's the distributor hold down...no biggie as I plan to replace with an Edelbrock anyways. Took the valve covers off and its real clean. No sludge, dirt....just nice clean heads. Oil drained out nice and clear, but I can't get it to turn over off the crank. Took off the driver side exhaust and theres some loose carbon that's fallen down into the valve chambers....so at this point I want to pull the heads to keep anything from falling into the cylinders. It'll also provide me a good visual off the cylinders and internals and let me know if we're looking at a total rebuild or just a new cam kit and gaskets....etc. I'll know more once the heads are pulled.

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Welcome aboard! I've always liked the look of the old step sides. They remind of the '67 short bed step side my dad drive for a while.

1963c-10

Well Known Member

Thanks for the reply. Seems that most of the internal parts are pretty easy to find. Exhaust will be my hardest issue. Since I won't find headers that will fit my truck, I'll either have to fab some or go with cast iron manifolds. Luckily I seem to have the better version of the heads already. What are the best cam choices for these engines? Again....Im great with IV gen big blocks...but the "w" engines are a whole new world to me.

1963c-10

Well Known Member
Welcome aboard! I've always liked the look of the old step sides. They remind of the '67 short bed step side my dad drive for a while.
Thanks. I've had the step side since 2009. I've had quite a few of these trucks over the years....started with owning my 1st one at 16 and I've been hooked since. The fleetside is a project I picked up a few months ago and I've always like the 348/409 engines. The 409's are almost non-existent around here and the 348's are pretty rare in these parts too. But I found a guy parting out a 58 down in SC that was willing to separate the engine/trans....so I took the 2hr drive and went and looked at it. He wanted $800 and I had him talked down to $500 by time I left. Felt I did ok on it.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
I'd recommend the Comp cams unit from Show Cars[0950 Ithink],262 adv.intake duration,270 exhaust.This is from Comp's Extreme energy series.great low end and mid range little cam with just a bit of idle attitude.The 1147's will be fantastic here ,just replace the stock valves with new stainless steel units.The stock valves are 2 piece valves and arent compatible with todays fuels.It is NOT recommended, or necessary to have hardened seats put in the heads.Try to find exhaust manifolds with the 2 1/2 outlets,and go with the 11-1 cast pistons[I personally muchly prefer fordgings],but they're pricey,and you can get by for what you're planning with this engine.The 11-1 piston already has a small clearence notch in it,but the 61 305 hp engines had the 1147 head on a 250 hp shortblock.With a small cam such as I recommended,valve notches wont be necessary,just dont go any bigger on the cam.

1963c-10

Well Known Member
I'd recommend the Comp cams unit from Show Cars[0950 Ithink],262 adv.intake duration,270 exhaust.This is from Comp's Extreme energy series.great low end and mid range little cam with just a bit of idle attitude.The 1147's will be fantastic here ,just replace the stock valves with new stainless steel units.The stock valves are 2 piece valves and arent compatible with todays fuels.It is NOT recommended, or necessary to have hardened seats put in the heads.Try to find exhaust manifolds with the 2 1/2 outlets,and go with the 11-1 cast pistons[I personally muchly prefer fordgings],but they're pricey,and you can get by for what you're planning with this engine.The 11-1 piston already has a small clearence notch in it,but the 61 305 hp engines had the 1147 head on a 250 hp shortblock.With a small cam such as I recommended,valve notches wont be necessary,just dont go any bigger on the cam.

Ok, great. Thanks for all the info. I'm sure I'll have more questions in the future. Still on my research and need to finish the step side 1st.

1963c-10

Well Known Member
Thanks to all of you for a warm welcome. I've already learned so much on these engines here. Glad I was able to locate you guys!!!