Hello from CenTex

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
What part of Texas are you from partner!!!! Hee haw!!!! Welcome to the madness. LOL. ,!!!

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Thanks for the warm welcome.
I reside just North of Austin.

I have found that these W's are maddening....LOL

:welcome2 :welcome Do you already have a W and /or a 58-65 ? I've had my '61 over 26 years now, but was a member here for a long time before I found a 409.

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Welcome Brett, Retired in Hamilton, Tx-about 100 miles north west of Austin. Grew up in Austin and come in to Austin a lot, familty and grandkids there. Still belong to the Austin Area Car Club. Like to meet up with you sometime.

W Head :welcome

59 Impala 409-2,4s

Brett

Agreed, about time, I ended up with a 409 in a bad deal I made for a '64 SS. Scrapped the car and kept the motor and trans.
Its a '656 truck block, .070 over, 12.1 forged pistons, stock stroke, new rods, 690 heads, eddy 5409 intake with dual AFB's.
M20 trans and a P case 4:11 posi with "All" new Eaton posi pack and gears....The vessel carrying this load is a '64 2dr biscayne.
Had it running 10 minutes, leaking oil and coolant....I have learned about the W motor 4pc rear main the hard way...and about the
infamous seeping head gaskets....so, after a nice conversation with Jack Gibbs....I am tearing the thing apart and starting over....

Hey W Head...I have a little spot just South of Evant. Was there last weekend....Took a ride and visited your Dollar General there in Hamilton....
will be up that way in another couple weeks.

Brett

Hey 61belair42...I just sold my '61 sport coupe...a 3 year total restore I did ....It had a 454...she went to the San Fransisco area...first show won Goodguys classic chevy pick award....
I miss her....: (

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Welcome Brett, Retired in Hamilton, Tx-about 100 miles north west of Austin. Grew up in Austin and come in to Austin a lot, familty and grandkids there. Still belong to the Austin Area Car Club. Like to meet up with you sometime.

W Head :welcome

59 Impala 409-2,4s
Wayne,
We met a couple from Hamilton,TX. whIle on our trip. They were the hosts at the Jacob Lake Visitor Center in Arizona, last name was Christian, nice folks.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
...and about the infamous seeping head gaskets....so, after a nice conversation with Jack Gibbs....I am tearing the thing apart and starting over....

Jack will get you fixed right up! What about the "infamous seeping head gaskets" ?? That's a new one to me.

Brett

well...about the head gaskets...out of all the motors I have built None w's...you don't coat head gaskets...apparently the w's need copper coat or aluminum paint on the bottom side to assist with sealing...then you need to add a stop leak to the radiator....Supposedly GM was doing this on the assembly lines back in the day....And this is why the W rebuild kits actually include some sort of stop leak for the coolant system....I am by no means an expert just a victim..>LOL
I had pressured the coolant system up to 17 pounds and found seapage of water in different areas of the head/block mating surfaces.....Stop leak may have remedied...but since the motor is out now for the rear main seal...I figured what the heck....and am pulling the top end to try to seal properly...its only time and money. Hoping to get this girl running soon...I want to drive it...really, really, really bad...