Hello and Thank You

Kevin Shelly

Well Known Member
I'm a new member and appreciate being accepted in to your forum. I'm shopping for a 58 Impala for my Father and had a question concerning accessories. Is there a way you can research what options or accessories came originally on these Impalas without the build sheet? Some folks that I speak to when I look at the cars tell me the options are original but I have my doubts. Any help would be great. Thanks
Kevin

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Kevin:

Welcome aboard! I am not well versed in terms of the 1958 models, but it might be that the cowl tag will have certain stampings on it that indicate what accessories were to be installed at the factory. Things such as tinted windows and other options each have a certain code for various assembly plants (they can vary over the many factory plants where the cars were assembled) and these can be deciphered to some extent.

If you can post a picture of the cowl tag for a vehicle you are interested in, I bet you will get lots of feedback from more knowledgable members than I regarding what those might mean. The easy part is determining original interior and exterior colors.

Cheers!
TomK

Kevin Shelly

Well Known Member
Correction on the one number I sent earlier. The Body No. is AG 4772. Is there a spot on the website that would list what this code means?

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
ACC codes were for Fisher body, they built the bodies for Chevy, then the bodies went to Chevy to build and install everything else. So in 58 an ACC code only covered a few things, not say would be on a "build sheet".

What accessories are on this car that are supposed to be original?

Most old cars have had lots of accessories added later. Not necessarily a bad thing and not a big effect on value unless you are paying for an all original unrestored 58.

Don

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
The ACC codes on the tag only reflected changes necessary to the standard body assy. such as equipment for air conditioning, body piercing holes for floor shift and rear antenna, padded dashes, etc. Tinted glass had a code. Drive train and suspension upgrades did not get an ACC code because they were bolt on items on the assembly line that would only be found coded on the original build sheet. Some examples would be the v8 engine selection, transmission selection and rear gear ratios, heavy duty shocks, etc.

Last edited:

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
For a 58 you won't find anything that will tell you what accessories were on the car when built, unless you find the original bill of sale or build sheet.