Hello all newbie with a bunch of ???'s

sonseeker

Hello my name is Carl and i from Davison,Mi. Have a 59 2 door Biscayne i am restoring. car was in great shape with no rust! Car came with 6 cyl three on the tree. Put a 350/35o hp engine and th350 turbo in last year.
Freind of mine has a 348 high torque engine he took out of a running1965 farm truck a few years ago,it only had 56k miles on it! He was gonna build it up to a 427 stoker but lost interest in his project. Engine is not froze up, in fact when we picked it up a ton of green antifreeze came out of it.
So should i be affraid of buying a truck engine? If not what needs to be done next,i don't think i just want to clean the exterior and paint it up and slap it in do i?Don't want to have a super high hp engine but don't want it to be a dog either!Any and all advice as to where to go from here would be appreciated!

58 Apache

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Alot of truck engine lovers here

:) First welcome to the site:beerbang Alot of Knowledge lies here. Pull some numbers off the block and heads and post and people will jump up and give opinions and or advice.

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Hey Carl, Welcome to the site.:clap I have a '64 truck 348 in my old '57 Chev drag car and I am very happy with the install.I did a stock rebuild on it and put an Edelbrock durashine 600cfm ?(I'm not sure) on a '61 409 winters manifold . Hope you have as much satisfaction with yours as I have with mine. It is still an ongoing project converting an old barnstorming gasser from the '70s to a street car.

I still get the occasional "What is that?"from the kids who know it all.:crazy:cheers:cheers

sonseeker

Only #'s i found were on the engine where are they located on the heads? engine 3857655 also found 222?What does this tell us?

7d9_z28

Well Known Member

Hey Carl, Welcome to the site.:clap I have a '64 truck 348 in my old '57 Chev drag car and I am very happy with the install.I did a stock rebuild on it and put an Edelbrock durashine 600cfm ?(I'm not sure) on a '61 409 winters manifold . Hope you have as much satisfaction with yours as I have with mine. It is still an ongoing project converting an old barnstorming gasser from the '70s to a street car.

I still get the occasional "What is that?"from the kids who know it all.:crazy:cheers:cheers

HEY! im just a kid and i know what it is! ( but i certainly do not know it all!)

And yes, the guys at this site are increadibly knowledgable! i been here not even a week and my head could explode from what ive learned in that time!

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
truck block

Only #'s i found were on the engine where are they located on the heads? engine 3857655 also found 222?What does this tell us?

you have a (655) block 1962 thru 65 and the 222 on the heads are 333 truck heads. You have a good start, it only takes time and $$$$$$$$$$$$. Good luck!!:cool:

W Head

59 El Camino 348-3,2s
59 Impala 409-2,4s

sonseeker

Shopuld i try to start it or not. I need to get a flexplate,fuel pump,starter to begin with. i figured i would also get a new water pump since this one is huge,also alternator has to belts not the usual one,is this typical?
Or should i do a partial teardown first. Where is the best place to buy these parts,,rebuild kit etc?