Garage Floor coatings

bjburnout

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
OK guys

Who's got the best garage floor coating............:dunno

We are in the process of moving to the country .....:clap
and the new place has a 30x40 garage .........:D
with a nice cement floor that's going to get real dirty, real fast.........:eek:

What have you used or seen used?

I recently saw a bit on U-Coat It.........this stuff any good......:scratch

Appreciate any help.........

bj:cheers

tripowerguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
My son has it on his garage floor and has not shown a mark in 3 years. Hot tires don't mark it and oil and grease don't stick. It is good stuff in my book but a little pricey for that big of floor.:) Roy

4onthefloor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I used Rustoleum 2 part epoxy floor coating 10 years ago...it's like rock...the only thong that hurt it was carbide snowmobile studs...it held up pretty good...nothing else bothers it...but it's boring gray...they have stuff now that you throw flakes in or something and it really looks nice....PREP is the key to anything you use.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Preparation

Like Bob said, the key is preparation. And having a vapor barrier under that slab of concrete (something you don't get to do AFTER it's been poured :)). I don't have any experience with coatings over concrete as yet, but have heard that if the floor is humid, nothing will stick to it in the long run. Gotta be nasty to try to skim that stuff back off...

That said, the fellas I know in Arkansas have used the U-Coat product on a part of their shop floor, and it looks good after several years. It's a pretty nice building, and less than 10 years old, so I bet it was done with lots of vapor barrier. Just don't scrape it with heavy pieces, they said...

One trick I was told was to lay a piece of plastic (a few square feet would do) down on the floor for a bit (overnight/a few days?) and check it for condensation. If it gets wet, I can't see a coat of anything being able to bond to it with any success.

I'll be pouring a floor in the near future and will be putting a thick vapor barrier over the base, just to be certain. Plans are to keep the surface uncoated for starters. Good luck with your new project, hope you see that Tan/Tan SWC in it soon :).

Cheers, TomK

4onthefloor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Tommy...don't leave it uncoated. It will create dust. The new thing is to pour the concrete and grind the top layer of exposing the aggragate inside...looks nice ....but if you do coat a new floor...make SURE it cures completely before you coat it. Also if you are doing an old floor and have to wash/etch it with muriatic make SURE you rinse it real well and let it set for a week before you caot it...when the acid gets down into the cracks it will create bubbles in the new coating if you don't let it boil off before coating. The epoxy I laid down was done with a squeegee not a roller...it was nice and thick and it looked like a skating rink.

raymar58409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Listen to Tom K. My son epoxy coated his shop floor and apparently it didn't have any vapor barrier under the concrete and it is like a skating rink on a humid day.
Ray

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
HD Concrete sealer

Home Depot sells concrete sealer to put on before you coat the floor.

Daddys409Belair

Supporting Member 1
I have a chemical storage room at my office and I hired a company to come in and coat it. They used a two-part epoxy paint if memory serves me right. They sandblasted the floor and completely prepped it. Cost me about a thousand dollars for a hundred square feet!! :eek:

It did fisheye in a few spots, but that wasn't a big deal in a storage foom. A garage floor would be a different story though.........