Flasher

huug

Guys,

My directional light of my '58 Belair (348) doesn't flash any more. At first it flashes very slow, and keeps burning at idle. Now it doesn't flash at all.
The shop manual tells to change the faulty flasher, but... where is that flasher located?!? And how does it look?
I did spell the electrical diagram, but it doesn't show the flasher.
I would first ask you guys here, before I remove my steering wheel to look for it (is it there?).

Huug

PS: I'm new here. I live in the Netherlands, Europe.
To see something more of my '58 check
http://drive.to/belair

Ed51

Supporting Member 1
I do not know about 1958 cars specifically,but the flasher is usually a can shaped thing that plugs into a place for it on the fuse panel. At least that is where it is on my 63 Impala.

bobs409

Administrator
As Ed said, it should be either a metal or plastic can that plugs into the fuse block.

If both left and right signals do not blink, I would suspect a bad flasher but if it's just one side, you can rule that out. Then I would suspect bad grounds at one of the lights.

tripowerguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I've got a 58 Bel Air and the flasher is located on the lefthand lower corner of your fuse block. Your fuse block is located on the inner firewall between the emergency brake and steering column. As was stated, check for corrosion in all your light sockets. These old sockets are prone for it. Also make sure you have the 2 ground straps hooked up that go from the lower back rocker cover bolt to the engine bay firewall. These feed the ground from the body back to the block which the battery is grounded to. Also it doesn't hurt to brighten up or burnish every place that a ground strap attaches to.:) Roy