Farmall

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
I'm going to welcome a new member Farmall. Welcome to our club!!
The only thing I can think of.......my grandfather had an M and a H in the 40's and 50's!!!!! One was a narrow front end and the other was wide. Grandpa would let me drive them around the farm yard.
So.....do you have anything to do with farming or tractors?.???

drc409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I had a Farmall A in the late 70's that I put a 5' belly mower under to mow about 3 acres. I also used it when clearing a stand of trees where I built a horse barn. It looked great (new paint on it) when I bought it. Unfortunately, I often spent as many hours trying to get it to start as I did using it:mad4

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I sold tractors for a couple of years trying to plow up some 409 stuff!!

You can do a "wheelie" easier with one!
Can't slide them though. My teen years on a farm
Dad had a 33 Massey Harris with a front end scope loader on it. We had a in ground silo dug for sileage on base of hill since it had a pipe line going across it we had to dig another ,so we left it open to eventually to fill with burned trash ,and once full through the years ,then close it. One day i took a scoop full of trash to dump in it with the tractor.so I am coming down the hill beside it with some speed and thought I would turn real short and slide it around facing the open pit.Scoop was up about inline of tractor. Well i did a sharp turn and was facing the pit and found myself sitting on right side wheels with left side rear tire spinning in the air balanced for a while. Needless to say I was scared to what might happen next ,but it finnaly fell back down on left side. I guess kids do stupid shit when younger,wondering how the heck I am here today. Never told my dad.:scared

Norm

Well Known Member
I grew up in central Indiana on a farm. We farmed 144 acres and dad drove a school bus, plus working as a mechanic at the local Farmall (International Harvester) dealer. I can remember at least 9 Farmall's that dad had over a period of about 45 years. Dad was able to wotk as mechanic since there was 4 of us boys spaced just far enough apart in age that when one left home another was old enough to take over most of the farming. The dealer let dad take a few days off during planting & harvesting. I also worked at the dealer, starting when I was 14. Started helping assemble new machinery. Then got "promoted" to doing overhaul work on tractors. The Farmall 560's were a 6 cylinder engine. The gas version was notorious for burning valves. Another guy & I did so many valve jobs that we got to the point where we could a valve job in 45 minutes. It was a great experience getting to work on the tractors. Learned a lot. Dad is still living &will be 95 next month. Can't drive anymore but enjoys going for a drive to watch farmers in the field. He can't believe how "big" the machinery has become.

chevy man

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Welcome Farmall........... You will definitely enjoy this site.
Ken.........................