Failed Driveshaft Center Support Bearing

32witha409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I started having a banging noise when starting out in first gear. I thought it was the exhaust around the X part of the frame so I adjusted it a bit. No change. Went to the Outriders Annual Pick nick this weekend (about 80 miles round trip) and it began getting worse.
On the lift again this morning and found that the driveshaft center support bearing had broken at base spot welds.. I read here that this is common.

When I reassembled everything earlier as part of my recent redo of many things, the rear drive line yoke had plenty of slip joint movement available in the air and on the ground. The drive shaft that was recently rebuilt and balanced, was smooth.

I ordered an Inland Empire Driveline billet center bearing and will be installing this weekend. Can anyone suggest anything else to check?

Last edited:

32witha409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Make sure the ujoints are good. Also look at the front half of the shaft. make sure it didn't spin around inside the frame. If it's marked , and you beat on it that will be a stress riser, meaning that's where it would break. I learned that the hard way.
Bob
Only the support bearing outer formed housing bumped against the frame tunnel. U-joints are recent and tight.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I started having a banging noise when starting out in first gear. I thought it was the exhaust around the X part of the frame so I adjusted it a bit. No change. Went to the Outriders Annual Pick nick this weekend (about 80 miles round trip) and it began getting worse.
On the lift again this morning and found that the driveshaft center support bearing had broken at base spot welds.. I read here that this is common.

When I reassembled everything earlier as part of my recent redo of many things, the rear drive line yoke had plenty of slip joint movement available in the air and on the ground. The drive shaft that was recently rebuilt and balanced, was smooth.

I ordered an Inland Empire Driveline billet center bearing and will be installing this weekend. Can anyone suggest anything else to check?
I noticed a couple of 60 Impalas there. If I had known you were going I would have looked you up

32witha409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
We were east of the water feature and beer stand under a couple big oak trees in the middle of the east field, with one gray 62 Impala 409 4spd red interior several 32 roadsters an orange 56 panel a green T roadster and my white 60 Impala. We're there every year. To bad we missed each other.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I don't go past the beer and bathroom :dunno We're always under the big tree at the entrance. Across from the food also.

32witha409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
A buddy and I parked our asses on the last row of tables where the east food line started. Ended up talking to a bunch of the usual suspects including Jim Jacobs and some I didn't know. I do remember seeing a large group near where the cars turned in to the first field.
Probably my favorite event of the year.

fourzeronine

Well Known Member

The billet bearing with the urethane isolator is going to be less compliant than the stamped rubber version. Really should have a slip joint rear shaft with it.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
The billet bearing with the urethane isolator is going to be less compliant than the stamped rubber version. Really should have a slip joint rear shaft with it.
I agree with this comment - you need a slip joint driveshaft with a billet carrier bearing
Paul