Enthusiast In Alaska

AK-Guy

Well Known Member
I'm joining this forum as I finally got my hands on a decent 340 hp, 409 (65 JB passenger) engine. And trust me, I have been searching for many years to find a complete engine. Of all places to find this engine, I find it way up here in the frozen north. This is like a "barn find" in that the engine has been in storage for 17 years in a steel connex building in someone's back yard. The guy is moving back to the lower-48 and needed to shed weight as shipping things into and from Alaska is expensive. I plan to continue following this forum and asking advice on parts and guidance on how to proceed; I'd like to beef this critter up a little bit, but stick with the original crank and heads.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Welcome aboard AK. There is lots of info so, just ask away. What are you plans for a vehicle to put this W in? We like pictures too...:brow

AK-Guy

Well Known Member
I am partial to '63 - '64 Chevy's. I owned a 64 SS Convertible for 20 years, but sold it in '97 due to the logistics of moving it every time I had to move due to the job. The SS was my first car and I only paid $1800 for it in 1979. That car started my search for a 409, which I never found. Now that I have found this powerplant, I will start my search for another SS to drop it into. I am hoping for a 4-speed this time vice a powerslide.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Alaska..........my favorite state!!!!!!!!!!!!
Welcome to our therapy group!!!! I will be "in your neck of the woods" next summer so maybe we can meet up somewhere. What part of the state do you reside?
I had a call a couple of weeks ago from a man who lives north of Anchorage and he just bought an original 62 409 car from North Pole, AK!!! SO...they do exist and survive!!! What kind of car are you looking for? I have a customer in Anchorage who has a 63. Don't know if it's for sale tho. I've seen several 60's Impalas in our travels in Alaska. There is a guy in Homer who has stockpiled about 5 55-57 Chevys so there are some around.
Great find and welcome!!!!

AK-Guy

Well Known Member
Phil, Many of the older cars up here are in sad shape due to the cold, moisture, snow and salt. I see lots of older cars here, but when you climb underneath it, you can see the underside of the seats or even the roof-liner above. The few cars that are in reasonable shape or better, command a premium price. I will probably look in the western part of the lower-48.

409z28

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Phil, Many of the older cars up here are in sad shape due to the cold, moisture, snow and salt. I see lots of older cars here, but when you climb underneath it, you can see the underside of the seats or even the roof-liner above. The few cars that are in reasonable shape or better, command a premium price. I will probably look in the western part of the lower-48.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Mike...he's not my friend. These cars are parked behind a tourist store thats open in the summer months. I never stopped in because I'm not into 55-57s. Plus................. its hard to tow a 55 back to the lower 48 behind the Harley!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:dance:roll

409z28

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Mike...he's not my friend. These cars are parked behind a tourist store thats open in the summer months. I never stopped in because I'm not into 55-57s. Plus................. its hard to tow a 55 back to the lower 48 behind the Harley!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:dance:roll

Can i call you later Mike