dq update

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Well took the tops off the carbs for the last time today !!
Or should I say after I took them off to screw with them dang flappers,,,,,I shi* canned them and bought two new AVS`s !!!!!!

NOW HERE`S A GREAT CARB !!!

Two minutes after they were installed I had the secondaries dialed in !!!!
RUNS LIKE A RAPED APE !!!

I can`t believe all these hundreds of hours spent trying to dial in the old carbs and never getting them right !!
The AVS ARE the carbs to buy !!

I now have power from idle all the way to red line !!
Broke loose the slicks in second gear !! (street psi) :cheers

I can`t believe how nice a crab they are !!!
It was a hard decision to spend all that money on new carbs knowing, or at least thinking that the old ones were good enough!!
NOT SO !! Same jetting,,,and settings and a tweak of the new secondaries and WHAM !!!! Found everything I`ve been looking so hard for !!

So then I took "Christine" to the track,,,,,"O" this outa be good !!! Running strong and responcieve all the way there !!
O BOY ,,,here comes my 12 second ET !!!

Boogers !!! Hit second and,,,,and ,,,,and,,,where da power go??
Felt just like it did before the change ??!!!

On the return lane thought something didnt sound right,,,but over the race muffs wasn`t quite sure,,,
Idled to the staging lanes and popped the hood,,,rattle bang,,,

Pulled out and parked and let her cool down,,,popped the valve cover to find a noodled push rod!! :cuss

I`m running thechrome moly rods from CH and not to sure that they are all that good. On the last rebuild Aubrey and I found several slightly bent rods,,,,
Any suggestion on what rods to replace them with ???

Get this!!! First time I didn`t bring my tools to the track !! But I had a friend follow me in his work truck with tools,,,
AND,,,I had two push rod wedged between the headliner bows holding a bad seam !!

Did`nt run it again but it drove great on the ride home .

,,,,,,dq

Gerry

Supporting Member 1
DQ, Hang in there. You'll get your problems resolved and see that 12 second pass. Are you using the 600cfm AVS carbs?

I

IgnitionMan

I have always maintained that DeadElBroke did the wrong carbs when they cloned, then screwed up, the AFB's. AVS has always been THE carb to use from Carter.

Now, for pushrods, a place not too far from you, Smith Brothers Pushrods, Bend Oregon. The best pushrod people on the planet. They make 'em for everybody whom cares to carry quality products, and they are in every Hemi in fuel and alchohol racing.

www.pushrods.net

You also need to check rocker geometry, coil bind, seal to retainer stackup, stem to guide binding, all the usual rocker arm stuff.

No issues with interference or geometry, Ignitionman... but as DQ said, the pushrods were a little wonky. Seems that the tips are not necessarily in the centre of the rod. Found a few that when we rotated the pushrod, the rocker arm would wobble from side to side slightly.
HHHMMM???
I can tell you that my old original GM pushrods never did that !

What a DRAG, DQ:cuss ;) ... I was at the edge of my seat reading your post, expecting to see a 12.56 @ 107:cool:

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Well even with bent rod going into 2 nd gear I turned very close to the last et`s but running on seven holes !!

I`m really not bummed ! I`m glad the new carbs are working so good !!
OZ man,,,,You`d be proud on how strong it`s running !!!

I can handle a bent push rod,,,,,,:D :D :D

I

IgnitionMan

Only real pushrod issues I ever saw with stock ones was, there are two different types, one with the ends swedged into the contact curvature, the other with a pushrod ball friction welded to each end.

Although I have seen some very few failures with the swedged pushrods and lots of lift, I've seen much more with the welded ones, ends broken off, bent, overheated, etc.

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Ignitionman,,,,Thanks for the link for the push rods !! Gonna call them Monday,,,,,
I don`t think there is any problem with Curt`s Moly rods other then the tips being off center and not strong enough for the valve spring tention I`m using !!??? In other words I would not use them again.
He has some fine stuff but I think he needs to have a chat with the vender that makes these.
I have to run lots of spring pressure for the rollers and I think that caused the problem.
Does any one make a rev kit for the `09 ???,,,dq

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Ordered the 3/8" moly push rods from Smith Brothers this morning.
$7.85 each and in stock ! Can handle up to 700 lbs of spring pressure!! Should have them tomorrow,,,,dq

I

IgnitionMan

Try Iskenderian for a rev kit. I seem to remember they had one. Might also ask them about the hairpin springs for the rockers, do they still have them? Those load the rockers against the pushrod/lifter, and take even more weight off the valve spring, easier to control the valve.

Rev kit is essential for any solid roller cam, takes the roller weight off the valve spring, and keeps the roller trunnion from bouncing off the cam lobe.