Donnie Shaffer (My dad) Obsolete Missile II

I just came across this forum and have read several things about my dad and his car, his 409's and his Z11'son.
Unfortunately, he is not in good health. I am helping my mother and him as well to find new owners for some of his beloved possessions. Now, this is not a money issue, so this is only serious inquires who has the love like my dad has all these years. If you are serious, please let me know.
Jennifer

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1486736139956-2.jpg
    FB_IMG_1486736139956-2.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 5
  • FB_IMG_1486736139956-1.jpg
    FB_IMG_1486736139956-1.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 5
  • FB_IMG_1486736139956-2.jpg
    FB_IMG_1486736139956-2.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 6
  • FB_IMG_1486736139956-1.jpg
    FB_IMG_1486736139956-1.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 5

Phalen409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
I came onto the 409 scene too late to know or meet your father, but thru folks like Phil Reed and others of his ilk; I have come to admire him and the contributions he has made to the legend of the 409. This is a great group of folks here on this forum.... It is my belief, that we ALL as a group, will be extending our prayers for you and your family. God bless you all.
Dennis

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
I finally found the thread. This is an article that Doug Marion wrote for Super Chevy. Doug was at both Conventions. This was probably the finest article written about our engines and of course, Doug wrote it.
The reason that I am posting this is.............we have a lot of new members who don't realize what Donnie meant to the W crowd. I think he started racing in the 60's and I started the parts business in the early 80's. That's went I met Donnie. All the pictures of engines on trailers ......are Donnie's!!!!!!!!!! There were 2 trailers FULL!!!!!!! My 2004 Convention DVD had an interview with Donnie where he explains all the special after market racing parts on each of the engines. These are display engines and do not have all the internal parts. Tony told me about 6 months ago that Donnie still had all of these.
And like Russ said...........Donnie's white 63 was the first 409 4-SPEED to get into the 9's!!!!!!! 9.97 at .....I forget the ET!!! Russ or Tony...help me out here. I had an autographed picture of the run from Donnie that was hanging above my computer at the shop but it still must be in a box around home somewhere. Donnie was a major force for the 348 and 409 lovers!!!!

http://www.superchevy.com/features/sucp-0801-348-409-w-engines/

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
My Dad has talked to Donnie a couple times and he was very helpful. I remember seeing him race the Obsolete Missile a few times in the mid 90s and it was awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Sorry to learn of Donnie's current health status. I talked to him on the phone less than a year ago, he was looking for a certain aluminum intake that he thought I might have. Of course when I connect with Tony at Day Automotive I ask about his condition.

I've seen Donnie's collection of W engines on the trailers, it's really a slice of time we all wish we could go back to :).

I've not seen the Obsolete Missile in a while, but I recall Donnie inquiring about selling her a year or two ago. In my opinion, that vehicle should stay in Missouri (I live in Columbia, hint, hint :)) where it was born and raced.

Cheers! TomK

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
That trailer full of 348's and 409's was one of the highlights of the big 2004 convention. :clap

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 16
I really want to send a PM but not sure I should being that I have never met Donnie....but would like to tell my ongoing story with a pair of heads that he has run and how I"m not done with them because I feel that I have not found all that is in them.