Dave Cates

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
I see that Dave Cates is our newest member.

Is this the Dave Cates from Dayton, OH?????????????????:clap:clap:clap:clap

I hope so!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dave cates

it is me

Phil how are you doing?
I was thinking about you and I saw the 409 on Meecum auction in Ill.
I have no idea where the car is now or who owns it. I thought you might know more about it.
I hear that the car seems to be worth a little bit more than when I bought it new from Stomps Chevrolet for less than 3,000.00.
WOW what a ride, it was a fun time, wish I could do it ago, only now I
think I would need more sleep !!!
If you have time give me a yell

Dave

P.S.
I don't see any icons with a cigar !

mark johnson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Wow, thanks for joining Dave! Please share some war stories about your car. I, and many, many others, would love to hear them! I've been around these 409 cars my entire life and your particular '62 Biscayne 409-409 car is one of my absolute favorites and I love the restoration job that Phil did on the car. Things like keeping the original faded stickers on the rear side windows, duplicating the paint scheme and graphics and preserving as many original parts as possible on the car. 'Ya know, Bel Air Sport Coupes are great and all and as much as I love 'em......they are just everywhere when you go a big National show. There's gotta be more of 'em today than were ever built! But your particular Biscayne just sort of represents the 409 that we all remember from a long time ago. The fenderwell headers, Super Stock stance, tow bar tabs, traction bars, etc. That's what a 409 is supposed to look like! All right, I've said enough.....now I'm listening!

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Tribute to Dave

http://www.348-409.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8786&highlight=Ault+James

Dave:

You have joined a GREAT bunch of guys who love old cars and 348s and 409s in particular!! You won't find a nicer or more knowledgeable group anywhere!!! And I know they would love to hear some of your stories!!!

Here is what I told everyone about you and me and your car 2 year ago!! If you scroll down to the last post, you can see a couple of pictures of the 62 Ault James Biscayne as owned and driven by Dave Cates. I hope that Dave can chime in with stories of "back in the day" as Doug Marion would say.

Dave...it is so good to hear from you again!! I tried calling your shop several years ago...maybe 5 or 6 and was told there wasn't a listing anymore. So I didn't know if you retired or not. Your son is all grown up now with kids I'm assuming so that makes you a grandpa now!! Right???? Hope you and your family are all in good health.

I can't remember if I took my blood pressure medicine this morning but Dave...I can remember everything about the day that I came up to your shop and spent the day with you!!! That was really special what all you did for me that day. And I will never forget.

Dave.......the car is currently owned by Dana Mecum. So it is in a good home But I'm sure it would be for sale if someone wanted it!! If I ever win the Powerball....that would be the first car I would buy. Then....Grumpy's white Z-11!!!!!!!!

Send me an email with your phone number Dave and 'll give you a call!! Would love to get caught up!!!!

Glad you found us!!!!!!!!!!:clap:clap:clap:clap