CPG's 409 409hp

tripowerguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Hey Aubrey have you had the engine with the square lobe cam at the strip yet. We want to know how it is coming along. I wish one of you guys with 409's lived near here. I can beat the stock MUstangs, Camaros and Firebirds but I need to be about 13 flat to beat the one's with modified computors and exhausts.:mad: Roy

Will be a while

Hey Roy... thanks for asking:D
noooo.... it's gonna be a while yet. I changed my approach a bit.
I had a set of .060 original TRW pistons here, and I was going to use them... but, because I managed to sell one of my cars, I am going at it a little more seriously. Lot's of special order stuff, and more money than I care to admit:cuss !
Time has been a huge factor too. Just don't have any !
I hope I can make a few passes this season anyhow:cheers

tripowerguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Time! Who has time, I'm supposedly retired and with the house, my aged mother it is always too late for everything. I would love to go to Kansas City and see Tom O. I can't go overnight because of my mother. It seems that time has sped up. But anyway, build it fast, so people will know 409's are a force to be reckoned with.:cheers Roy

"But anyway, build it fast, so people will know 409's are a force to be reckoned with. "

HAH !
Know that one, Roy:cheers !
I have Lee Brothers machine shop in Red Dear, Alberta, helping with the "Stocker" tricks, and doing most of the machine work.
Got word today... my 1965 409 "JE" block with 135,000 miles on it.... PERFECT line bore and bearing saddles... deck clearance within .0015" !
Now THAT'S a quality product !
Crank is just done... 3.515" stroke, indexed, finished at .010" / .020".

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Hey Aubrey. I was just wondering why the .015" stroke increase. Is this just to take full advantage of every allowable cubic inch?
I know these things take time, and lots of money :deal but we're all hoping you get it done in time to get it on the track this year. Good luck.

65Impala409

Well Known Member
Aubrey,
A JE block for a 65 chevy 409!!! Nice... I sure hope to find one of those JA or JD blocks someday so that I can make myself an extra rare bird.... I guess time and money will tell... I cant wait to hear how all that work turns out... As an aside, in one of your station wagons(I think) you have a shifter with a bench seat.... I noticed that it kinda looks like the 4spd setup in my bench seat Impala... How does the shifter boot attach to the floor??? a metal square like ring on top of the rubber boot??? and lastly what kind of hardware is used, bolts, screws??? I know I need it since I tracked down an NOS boot to use..... Thank you for your time
Ned
65Impala409

Yes Jim, that's part of it. I think it gains near 2 cubic inches, but mostly it's about making all 8 EXACTLY the same.

Ned... my "JE" block ?
HHMM...
I used IT because it was expendable ! Had 2 or 3 guys asking that I do a 65 engine for them... nobody came through, so rather than abusing my 63 "QB" block, I sacrificed this one.
No worries anyhow...
my engines don't blow up;)

Shifter boot ring ( flange ) ? ... held on with philips head sheet metal screws. The 65 floor is very different though. :cool:

Dan Hunt

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Aubrey
Having Lee Bros. doing you machine work is a great idea. Most shops have some bad history at one time or other, these guys have none.
Those who don't know who they are check out NHRA SS/A record holder.