cowl hood

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
I just noticed thet Glasstek offers a stock fiberglass hood for 62 impalas. They also offer a 4 inch cowl induction hood. Has anyone used the cowl induction hood? I am looking at buying one and would like to hear some input. I like the stock hood but if i go with a shotgun bills air scoop i will need some extra clearance. thanks in advance!

tmracing62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
cowl hoods

This is a 6" Glasstek cowl on a metal hood and I am really glad I did not cut up the original hood. The fiberglass is top quality and it grafted on nicely. There was a little wander in the detail line down the middle of the cowl, but nothing too objectionable.

It looks much better painted, but I still hate the look. It's just wrong to my eyes. In my case it needed to be this high to run an air cleaner which to me is essential.

If you like the look (and you aren't morally corrupt if you do), 4" would be much better and Glasstek did this cowl very well. Others that have used Glasstek full hoods that I know (a Camaro and a Chevelle) are very happy with them. In both cases, their hoods are held on with Dzus fasteners so I can't say how well they would work with hinges. Lots of strain and you might want to reinforce it.

If you don't like the look, give it some thought. You are wise to get a whole fiberglass hood or at least find a fragged metal one so you don't sacrifice a good hood if you use just a cowl. I'm going to try someday to design a scoop that is more stylish and less gorky looking. At least to try not to take away from the lines of the car.

Sorry for gnawing your ear off, but just be sure this is your style.

Attachments

• cowl.jpg
    cowl.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 193

Steve "wully bully"

Supporting Member 1
Glasstek Hood

We run a flat Glasstek hood on our Bubbletop, it is an excellent piece. It was perfect right out of the box, just scuff and spray. We have it bolted on stock hinges, and put lightweight springs on, which hold it like stock. We also have a decklid of theirs, also top quality. I know you asked about the cowl, and not the flat, just thought I would let you know of the quality. I would recommend them 110%.
Steven

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
thanks for the reply! I am going to contact glasstek to see if they can make a 2 inch cowl hood. I think that would look more 'correct'. It would look less of an add on and more like an extra. Glad to hear the quality is very high. thanks again!:cheers