Chev Bel Air 4 door with 409?

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
There was a magazine article several years ago about a documented 4 door car Chevy with the 409 engine. I am positive the 409 engine was available in any body style. Others will chime in soon.

cuzineddy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Back in '63 Cuzineddy and I were in traffic court in downtown Chicago, and sitting next to us was a fellow who owned a 409/409 '62 Impala station wagon!!! We didn't believe him so when we were through with the court, we went out to the parking garage, and lo and behold he had a white, blue interior 409/409 station wagon.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
:welcome2 What year is your Bel Air? Like everyone else said, the 409 was available in all the full-size body styles, but most were 2 doors. Out of the 4 doors and wagons that did come with the big engine most would have been the lower compression/hydraulic lifter build.

Johan Hansson

My Bel Air is a -62. It was imported to Sweden from Colorado and Pueblo last summer - I´m the second swedish owner. It has been running for aprrox 72 500 miles and in very good condition.

Dewman

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
100% positive you could get a 63 Bel air 4 door 409. A friend in high school street raced a 63 425 HP 4 speed 4 door that his dad had ordered brand new.......wonder what happened to Ronny, been 30 years now. Sure wish he would check in here sometime. Good Luck!!!!

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
I'm not sure on models,but I remember seeing Don Fezell(hope I didn't kill the spelling) a low milage more door 409.....I think in super chevy

64chevydude

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Welcome, I have the article from my old late great chevy club mag on a black 63 4 Door 409 425 4 spd , I'll look it up tonight. I'm sure I've seen it in super chevy too.

Last 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
In 1963-64 at a track where I raced, there was a fellow that had a factory silver with red interior '62 Biscayne 4 door 409 4-speed car.

Lonnie

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Is your 4 door a "Sports Sedan", or does it have the post between the front and rear doors? Looks like there is no post in the pic in your signature.

Welcome aboard, nice car and a good decision to plop that legendary engine in her bay :). I suspect you will have one of the only ones around?

How hard is it to locate "W" components in your part of the world?

Cheers!
TomK

Bub6le 2op

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Great article Steve, It wouldn't matter to me, drop a 409 in it and have something that will get everyone's attention, Welcome to the site, great bunch of guys here, so I sure they can and will help with anything you need. Nice lookin four door

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Very good article Grub. I wish it gave more details about the current configuration, but I am glad they did write about all of the original history. Seems really odd that he said the one thing that broke him was the T-10. I would have guessed that the 4 speed would have been one of the better stock parts for road racing in that car.