Cars

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
The 55 is WAY to shiny to be a gasser, looks more like a show car. Gassers were race cars, oily and dirty with a lot of Yankee Ingenuity. They were were built for one purpose and that was to go fast with no regards to looks. If you look at George Klass's web site & go to gassers you will see where I am coming from. Other than that its a nice looking car but a poor representation of a gasser. Sorry if I am stepping on toes but I'm kinda a purest.

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
The 55 is WAY to shiny to be a gasser, looks more like a show car. Gassers were race cars, oily and dirty with a lot of Yankee Ingenuity. They were were built for one purpose and that was to go fast with no regards to looks. If you look at George Klass's web site & go to gassers you will see where I am coming from. Other than that its a nice looking car but a poor representation of a gasser. Sorry if I am stepping on toes but I'm kinda a purest.
You can step on toes …..I wear steel toe boots….. no worries….. to me it’s about the look……from a historical standpoint….. I was born in 63 so I don’t really have that attachment …… Plus I like so many different build styles…. I have room for all of them …..but the one that I employ …..is build it like you wanna build it, and don’t worry about what anybody else has to say about it…….. I know that there are people out there that would say that car was an abomination …..Gassers don’t have this and gassers don’t have that ……that’s fine for those purists……I rank those people right up there with Corvette owners(no offense Phil) and restonuts……Gassers were race cars clearly that’s not a race car….: I’m sure it’s been down the track, but it was built in the image that he had in his head….. cool……!!!!
And I love the website George Klass remembers
I always think of something afterwards …..one of my favorite things to watch it’s the southeast gassers association ……just to make a point …..people pick and choose when they wanna bend the rules, they don’t use a standard Muncie or Toploader transmission they use special built dog boxes so that they don’t experience the breakage that they did back in 1967……. the equipment that they use on the internals of their motors are far and a way better than what they had in 67 …..otherwise the speeds would be much slower….. And they choose to run on better tires, to be fair they should be running the same tires that they had back in 67 …..just my take on it

Last edited:

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
Looks like the wheelbase of a Volkswagen…:D ……Dropping the motor down is just the opposite of what they did for a FX car wasn’t it …..you’d want to raise and go to the rear so the weight would transfer….. evidently this must be a little more of a modern interpretation …….:cool:

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
Awesome cars ……thanks for sharing….love the grump lump…..The blue 63 in the background with the cragers……And “the wild one” rocks

Reactions: 327