car treat

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
I had a treat at work today. As I was busting my a$$ , o.k. washing my hands getting ready for a Coke, a group of street rods pulled into my shop. About 15 in total. A fella gets out and tells me he has an exhaust leak and could I take care of it. I said sure, lets pull it on the hoist. He tells me it won't take a minute. How the he!! he knows that is beyond me, but I line him up to pull on the hoist. I have to adjust the runners when this voice cuts through the air. SIR! SIR! are you going to guide my husband on the hoist or what! I turned to her and said lets make sure it will fit first, o.k.? I adjusted the hoist and guided a very nice 37 Ford coupe onto the hoist. I let him drive it in. Somthing I rarely do, but he was cleaner than I. I got it in the air and found all of his exhaust hangers loose and rattling. I also found the pass side collector flange missing two bolts and the aluminum gasket distorted and leaking. He told me not to worry about all that stuff and just put some bolts in it. I said the gasket is bad and I can replace it for him. He tells me rudely to put bolts in it. Now i'm pi$$ed! I tell him since he won't let me fix it lets just pull it off of the hoist now and save all the trouble. He says fine fix it! I now ask him to please step out of my shop area so I can go to work. I remove the last bolt and remove the aluminum gasket which is badly distorted. I show him the gasket and tell him I will go get a composite gasket and he says to just put that one back in. I said it will leak but o.k. I straighten the gasket, apply sealant and reinstall with new bolts. I tell him it does not leak right now, but it will. This $hitbag tells me he turned every nut and bolt on the car. HA. He paid someone I bet. He told me it must be unnerving to work on a car like this. Double HA. What a self important a$$. He thanked me and my wife as he left. I am sure he is laughing it up with his buddies on how he told that stupid knuckle buster how to fix his car. You know, I wouldn't have even charged him had he not been such an uptite a$$! I like working on rods and like helping people in a bind even more. Sorry to vent but that dude really got under my skin. Maybe next time I will just say no! Well probably not.:)

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Yo Brian..........next time I'm in your area and I'll stop by. Will probably be on the Harleys so you won't have to do anything for me............JUST VISIT!!!!!:clap :clap

Don't you feel better now???!!!:roll :roll :roll

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Nice of you to be that way!

You must be one heck of a fine guy! I think I know the feeling you had when he proceeded to tell you how to do what you do well.

I rented a brand new house out to an M.D., nice guy but defintely a know-it-all. When he left after one year and we went through the house to check for damages, etc. I noted what appeared to be soda residue on a bathroom wall. Not a problem, he was having a team of maids over to clean things up the next day. I mentioned that the Coke overspray would probably just wipe off, even took a sponge and cleaned a square foot in about 2 seconds. He mentions he never ever saw that, it must have been that way when he moved in, blah, blah. I hope as a physician his eyesight is as good as his ego. I don't recall telling him how to do a surgical procedure...

Some people just think they know everything. I prefer to hang around people who are a bit more humble than that :).

Hope your next customer appreciates what you can do for them!

Cheers,
TomK

Maybe those street rodders were from Vegreville, Alberta ?
A few years ago, some university in Ontario, did a survey of the quality of services, attitude, friendliness of various towns across Canada.
Vegreville ranked as the most dispicable town in the country:roll

Brian, if I ever get to your area, OF COURSE I will be in. I'll get you to fix SOMETHING on my tow rig or race car.
Trouble is, to pay you, you'll have to let me work it off in labour in the shop:p

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
By all means anyone here can stop by! :hug Nothing would be finer. And if I can help you out, even better. :cheers to all!

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Always remember Brian................it was the most fun you ever had with your pants on!!!!!!!!!!!!:roll :roll :roll :roll

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
You got that right Phil!:roll Also the most fun I had with the lights on but that is another story!:eek: