Car cruises...like em or leave em?

What do you think of small town car cruises?

• I cruise my car around and never have any trouble

Votes: 16 80.0%
  • I cruise my car around but its usually a traffic jam

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Nope, won't do that to my car

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters

bobs409

Administrator
I think im done with these small town car cruises. It's nothing but a big traffic jam because the route is always too small. (bad planning if you ask me) Nothing urks me more than seeing a bunch of big blocks idling in the sweltering heat of traffic. :mad:

Anymore, If I decide to attend one of these, I think I will just get there a little early, find a parking place and watch everybody else overheat their cars.

Lets make this a poll to see what you guys think about these cruises.

bjburnout

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Hey Bob
We hit small town and big city cruises and seldom have a problem.
The 66 gets about 3500-4000 miles a year while the 61 is nearing completion and the 63 is this winter's project. Therest of 'em get very little. Hopin' to do the Hot Rod tour next year.
We are always very early at cruises......and usually wait and watch the cars leave......it's great to hear 'em all runnin'
If cars are overheating, their owners aren't paying attention.......it's really important to keep your cool and your car's cool
Happy motoring
BJ

66 Impala 427 4spd original
61 Impala 348 pg
63 Belair 409 4 spd
67 Beaumont 396 4spd original
62 fuelie Vette

mad max

Bob , I cruse my 64 about 5000 miles a year and love it to death and so does my wife. It is our reason to get out of town and would not change things at all.:cheers :cheers :cheers

clocker

we go to quite a few shows and although i do sometimes run a little warm at times we still enjoy -- planning on going to the week long cruisin the coast in biloxi this october -- i have been thinking about installing an electric fan just for those times when i need a little extra cooling-------

jim:cheers :cheers :cheers

bobs409

Administrator
These cruises aren't fun when your stopped in a long line of cars forever.

If they would increase the size of the cruise route, It would work out better. Have a "cool down" run somewhere along the way by having a larger highway as part of it. Trying to cram 300 cars into a tiny town doesn't work for me. :(

TomO

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I drive my car about 3000 miles a year. Any time during the season when it is a nice day it is on the road. I attended a small cruse about 40 miles away on Saturday night. The heat index was 110 and my car does not have ac. It was hot but...I met alot of new people and saw: 64 409/425, 60 elcomino w/348 3x2, 58' bys, 59 implala 348. This all at a show that is maybe 60 cars.
TomO

bbqcruising

Supporting Member 1
Bob, I know this is a post about cruising which I do, but I may have a tip for your heat problem. I had my 409 water pump rebuilt by stewart components. It was like 89.00 and last saturday night it was 92 by the time I got parked and I shut the motor down at 176 degrees. I also have a griffin aluminum radiator ,and I am sure it helps. They really flow the water. It is the main water pump used by nascar. Cruise on dudes!

biscaynewagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Bob,

This poll is good. But to make it more interesting, can we do a poll for us (most of us probably) and have questions such as who rides the "X Frames " as a daily driver, or summer time drive only or.... car cruises / parade.

Just a thought, because I am driving my 61 brookwood as a daily driver and I loved it !! :cool:
Thanks !!

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Car cruises

I try to drive one or both of my cars each day, especially in the summer. My main driver is the '62 SS, but my favorite ride is my 1963 Split Window Coupe. Both are small block Chevies, but the Corvette is a 340 horse four speed car, so it's definitely more fun to root around in. I seem to get better looks from the ladies as well :)

A few weeks back the 50th Corvette Anniversary caravan swept through Columbia (in the middle of Missouri on I-70) and about 600 Corvettes representing all years zipped by. I caught it on digital video (actually my son did the photo work) and even jumped in with the pack with my '63 coupe for a about 20-30 miles (of course we got that on camera as well!). When I figure out how to create those videos as a web AVI I will pass that link along. My main objective was to capture something fun on the camera (me doing burnouts and such) and try to motivate myself to learn the art of video editting. So far I have lots of personal footage (of my cars in motion), but haven't editted them down yet. The quality is pretty poor as we needed to use a tripod and for whatever reason my son decided not to (they're kinda shaky).

So do I like cruises? I like to take them by myself everyday, but I haven't joined forces with anyone as yet. The local Corvette club (of which I am a member) does one every month, but most guys have newer models and keep their windows rolled up in comfort. I prefer to thrash about the back roads out of sight from the local Polizei and other maniacs. We have plenty of smooth untravelled roads within 5-10 miles and that's wher I head out everyday for my "fixes".

Cheers,
Tom K

bobs409

Administrator
Originally posted by bbqcruising
Bob, I know this is a post about cruising which I do, but I may have a tip for your heat problem. I had my 409 water pump rebuilt by stewart components. It was like 89.00 and last saturday night it was 92 by the time I got parked and I shut the motor down at 176 degrees. I also have a griffin aluminum radiator ,and I am sure it helps. They really flow the water. It is the main water pump used by nascar. Cruise on dudes!

I didn't mean that I was having overheating problems. :D I have mine dialed in pretty good actually. I was merely making mention that it irks me to see big block cars sitting still in a mile long line of cars and calling it a cruise. That's bound to get any cars temperature rising. (on occasion, I have see a few pulled off to the side with the hoods up and a bit of steam)

You guys obviously are attending better cruises than what we have here. Like I said, 300 cars trying to drive around in 10 blocks isn't doing it for me. I got in the line and after sitting there without moving for about 20 minutes, I was looking for an out. One sidestreet later, I was outa there. Next time, I get there early and find a nice parking spot right on the cruise route. Maybe then if I see the cars actually moving along, then sneak back in the line.

So far, I haven't found these cruises to be very enjoyable because of this. I don't enjoy traffic jams of any form, even the ones publically held. :p I think these yoko's around here need someone who can set these up better. :evil It's not rocket science ya know. MORE SPACE!!!

bobs409

Administrator
Originally posted by biscaynewagon
Bob,

This poll is good. But to make it more interesting, can we do a poll for us (most of us probably) and have questions such as who rides the "X Frames " as a daily driver, or summer time drive only or.... car cruises / parade.

Just a thought, because I am driving my 61 brookwood as a daily driver and I loved it !! :cool:
Thanks !!

Danny,

That sounds like a good poll too. Anyone can start a poll so why not put one together. Just start a new post in the normal fashion and fill in your message, then at the bottom there is a button to make your post into a poll. Click that and fill in the info on the page that comes up.

As for daily drivers, no matter what car of mine I drive, it's always an antique because that's all I own. No new cars or SUV's here, ever!. :evil I only own 1 X-frame car and it will be a while until she's road ready. (but im working on it) ;)