C6 lifting pucks

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Hi everyone. Plan to put my C6 Corvette on the lift soon. Want to check underneath. I bought those lifting pucks which get attached someplace on the frame. I saw the diagram for attaching points but not sure exactly where they go. I believe there are slots they fit in. Has anyone experience with attaching these so that a lift can be used?? The bottom of the car is real close to the floor, so I don't know what I might be able to see. Thanks, Carmine.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
That pic makes the location easy to see. Hope to put it on the lift today. Thanks, Carmine.

JED

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
There is a rectangle slot at each of those 4 locations. Align the puck tabs to those slots & then twist them to hold them in place. Just remember to remove them after you are finished on the lift, otherwise they will come out when you are driving and you will lose them. Ask me how I know. :facepalm

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Had an interesting afternoon. When I had my '62 Impala, I thought it was a pita to put it on the lift because of the way the frame was designed. The alignment had to be perfect or the arms wouldn't reach. A few times, I jacked it up and put dollies under the wheels to position it properly. Up and down. Up and down. Getting kind of old for that. Today was another adventure. Found the slots in the frame just like the one pic illustrated. Inserted the pucks and lined up the front lifting arms. Had to expand them a few inches to meet the pucks. The back lifting arms, not even close as they were. Even the section collapsed, left the arm too long by a lot. WTH. Now what?? So, I used the first section of each arm and measured the height I needed against the front arm. This had to be the same height for the car to go up evenly. I then cut wood the thickness I needed and put it on top of the rear arms. Gave it a try and the car went up level. No body part came in contact with the lifting arms. I went the maximum height and then locked it in. Put the tall jack stands under the front and rear. I always use them. It was amazing how clean it was underneath. Many part number tags are still attached to various parts. Going to do some light cleaning on a few areas tomorrow. Just spruce it up some.
I always had the oil/filter changed at a Chevy dealership with about a $165.00 cost. While the car is on the lift, decided to change it myself. Went to Walmart and bought 6 quarts Mobil 1 5w-30 fully synthetic oil and a Mobil 1 filter. About $50.00 and the satisfaction of doing it myself. Taking this car to Gettysburg PA next month with my Corvette club and want to make sure there are no issues.
Before I forget, I did notice that the slots where the pucks go, to me, appear to be very close. I thought they would be spread further apart for better balance. Guess the engineers know what they are doing. Going to post a few pics. Thanks for looking and listening, Carmine.

Corvette Pucks 1.jpg
Corvette Pucks 2.jpg

JED

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Actually, those slots weren't put there to lift the car, they are they as attachment points to chain the car down during transport. If you look at the ends of the chains used by a "roll-back" wrecker, they have that same "T" end (as well as a hook on the other end) that is used to secure the car. I have some of those hooks in my trailer & will take a photo tomorrow. Those frame slots are also on most vehicles (I haven't checked all cars) for that purpose. You can also solve your lift clearance problem by going to a different style of lift pad pedestal for your lifting arms that includes a threaded post that you can raise or lower to fine tune your height, plus they also make different height posts for the pads (I'll also take a photo of mine).
I also use jacking pads on my C6 to lift it on my 2-post because it is more convenient than the recommended lifting points in the owners manual, which is the aluminum cradles for the front and rear suspension. It is difficult to reach those recommended lifting points with the arms on my 2-post and still keep the right balance. I have been using the frame pucks for 20+ years without problems (C5's also had the slots in the frame.)

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Very interesting. Out of curiosity, I'm going to have to look in the owner's manual and see what they recommend re. lifting points. I'm pretty much content on what I have and I'm doing now. I saw those aluminum cradles you mentioned and it amazed me some, the mixture of aluminum and steel parts. Now that I know how everything works, I'll save those wooden blocks that I made for any future lifting. Probably will lift it in a fraction of the time. My biggest concern was the rear arms being much too long. I couldn't use the padded section. Instead, had to use the first section of the arm with blocks. It seemed to work just fine. I get the car about halfway up and stop. Give it a gentle but firm shake and it appears very stable on the lift. No movement. Balance is good. Today, I will detail it. So much easier with the lift. I don't have to bend over which kills my back, Carmine.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Well, polished the entire car this morning. It was nice to raise it to the level that I was comfortable with. When done, I felt the surface/paint. Felt like 1500 grit sandpaper. Certainly, some containments there that didn't come off. Not happy with it. I've always been a big proponent of clay bar treatment. Not sure why I didn't use it this time, but I didn't. Regret it. I should have polished a section and then check it for smoothness. I would have realized early that the polish wasn't working and gone immediately to the clay bar. So, went over the car with the clay bar. Twice the work but the finish is as smooth as a baby's buttocks. Very happy with it. I have no idea how that clay bar works, but it does, Carmine.

JED

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Here is a photo of the lift extensions and adjustable pads from my 2-post. It lets me adjust the pads to the height of the various vehicle frames I am working on. The adjustable one on the right fits inside the lift arm or the extensions. It has a 2-stage threaded section for fine tuning. They are currently threaded all the way out in the photo. The lower section fits inside the lift arm or the extension.

lift stands.jpg