c4mo

m11409

Hi,
I'm a 409 enthusiast that one days hopes to own a 63 Biscayne or belair to put my 409 into. As it stands now its a garage relic that my father bought 40+ years ago, hard to be exact. It suffered the fate of breaking a rod, however everything else remains in salvageable shape. My eventual plan is to build a 4 in stroker with hydraulic roller to have a nice daily driver. It is a original 425hp 409 690 heads etc etc.
I joined the forum because i also have some valve covers and 348 parts i do not plan to use, so i thought i might give them a chance here if anyone were interested. My other intent was to learn more about these engines because they are as many of you know a niche interest.

Attachments

• photo (8).JPG
    photo (8).JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 44

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
Nice to know "the apple doesn't fall far from the tree".Welcome to the site...........sure wish my Dad had a 409 stash for me.......:angry:cuss:bat

bobs409

Administrator
Wow that pic brought back some memories for me! I bought my 400hp 409 from an old guy that had it sitting right on the floor. (not on a roll-able stand like yours) The year was 1981 and I was a little younger then. :D $250 buck-a-roos and it was mine. The rest is history!

Now that I think of it, this site would not be in existence if not for my 409 find. :burnout

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Welcome to this great site m11409!

Wow that pic brought back some memories for me! I bought my 400hp 409 from an old guy that had it sitting right on the floor. (not on a roll-able stand like yours) The year was 1981 and I was a little younger then. :D $250 buck-a-roos and it was mine. The rest is history!

Now that I think of it, this site would not be in existence if not for my 409 find. :burnout

Thanks for this great site Bob!

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Welcome aboard! You've got the hard parts to find, the 409 block and heads. That's a great start! Take that apart and put it back together with modern metallurgy (stainless steel valves, BBC rods, newer pistons etc.) and then all you need is to find that car :).

Ask questions as you move towards that goal and we'll be here to give you sound advise.

Cheers!
TomK

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Welcome C4mo. And Bob, I just wished I had thought about 409's in 81, well as soon as I got back from Germany in 82. Too busy cruising my 54 merc and 65 impala, and anything other I could afford. Glad you bought that 409.

bobs409

Administrator
Welcome C4mo. And Bob, I just wished I had thought about 409's in 81, well as soon as I got back from Germany in 82. Too busy cruising my 54 merc and 65 impala, and anything other I could afford. Glad you bought that 409.

Well we can really thank Doug Marion and Super Chevy magazine!!! As a young teen, I about wore out the issues with Doug's 62 409 project car. I loved Impala's since about age 4 :) but reading things like that, I knew I HAD to have a 409 one day! Late at age 16, I mentioned wanting one to a friend and he told his older brother. Within no time, I had a lead on my 409 that was only few miles away! The guy was always drinking at one of the local hose company's, maybe he needed money? Took the rainy day off from school to go see it. He opened the garage door an there it was just sitting on the concrete floor!

A day or two later, we picked it up with my friends brothers 49 Ford pickup and she was all mine! (loved that truck by the way!!!)