Block decoding

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
You have to get the casting number at the rear of the block. The only HQ I have ever seen are for sbc

DBones

Also the Ti at the beginning is strange. I get the T but the i or could it be the number 1 for January

James jones

Well Known Member
I don’t think that q came from the the factory. The entire pad could have been restamped. Where did you get this block/car from?

James jones

Well Known Member
If the alternator is a stock piece it should be a 63-65 348 or 409. Maybe a 348 truck block. Do you know the history of the motor/car?

James jones

Well Known Member
I checked a chart and code h and code ha were 58-61 348 motors 250 and 280 horsepower jobs. I think someone stamped the pad along the way thus you don’t know what it is. It seems on my 63 ss that the casting code was stamped on the block and also on the transmission. If your numbers are not the same on both then either the engine or transmission is not original to the car.

James jones

Well Known Member
Again I see an “hq” code for a 1965 327 with powerglide and a/c. To me it is a bogus stamp code and only the casting code ( if that is original to the car) will tell you the truth about the car. The engine by looking at it is definitely a 348 or 409 style of motor. You should find out what it is before you buy it.