block date code 409

Hi
I am new to the forum, and have a 62 409/409
I am trying to figure out the date code on the block it is a 068 block mid year with the x and where the date code is it has markings of CFO, does anyone know what this is
Thanks

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Hi Terry,

I think the "CFO" you're seeing is actually CFD. You may want to read the info on Bob's 348/409 General Information page found here: http://www.348-409.com/general.html. Basically it says :
Bob's 348/409 Information page said:
there were some blocks with CFD cast into them that were supposed to have come from the Central Foundry Division when there was a strike at the Tonowanda plant. Click here to view a sample

The Image:
cfd.jpg

On these blocks I believe the casting date is still on the back of the block but on the other side near the starter location. I may be wrong about that but if I am someone will correct me.

oldskydog

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
It had nothing to do with any strike. All W blocks and heads were CFD after about april 62.

63impalass409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I have a set of 817 340hp heads with the cfd but can not find a date but I know they used those on 63-65 so how can I find out a way to find out what year for sure

oldskydog

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
It's a Julian date......digits correspond to the day of the year. No sure way to tell for sure 62 690's from 63 except that 62's would start from sometime in April (I think) and run to the end of year. 63's would run from 1 (January 1) to sometime in sept, (I have the date written down somewhere) when they switched to 583s for production, but 690's were probably continued for service for sometime after that.
817s ran from 63 to 65 so good luck on that. To quote the next president and Phil's favorite politician, "What difference does it make?".;)