Back in the 61 saddle again!

Hey, folks! Excited to be back in a 61 again! The last one that I had that I could drive was back in about 1987 or so...I am looking forward to having some fun here and maybe locating parts as I go through this thing. About a month ago I bought a 61 Impala 4 door sedan. Not rust free but damn close for a 61! It has the EZ Eye glass with a factory radio delete option. Kinda rare, I thought for an Impala...No PS, no PB...BUT, it has the 230HP 283 with a powerglide and factory dual exhaust. Other than that, I really don't see any options...anyway, thanks for the add and I'll see ya down the road!

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_6144.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_6144.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 59
  • thumbnail_IMG_6159.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_6159.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 60

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Nice car Mark,
Interesting with the impala and the low number of options
three piece bumpers (i guess that depended on what plant it came from)?

Steve

James jones

Well Known Member
I’m going to put this story on here in pieces. From the early 1960’s. In the summer of 1960, we moved to Raleigh nc and moved back to Durham in June 1961. I was 13 years old and in the seventh grade. We moved to an apartment complex on glenwood ave where there were a lot of young families and kids. Crabtree valley was not there yet nor the buildup of today. All was farmland. A man named Kidd brewer owned the farmland that became Crabtree valley. Our front yard was u-shaped with plenty of room to play. One day in may 1961, my best friend and I were playing in front. We saw several Cadillac type cars pull up and stop in the road in front of the house. We went to check it out. When I came around the first cars bumper, I saw governor terry Sanford by the back car on a platform making a speech. I then saw a man sitting in the front passenger seat in the first cadillac. I looked closer and I said to my friend “o my god that’s president Kennedy”! We got to his door and he got out and went back to the rear to make a speech. By now a large number of people had gathered. After a bit he came back to his seat and sat down. His window was down so we were patting him on his back and shoulder and we were talking to him back and forth. He shook my friends hand. After a bit they drove on. The next day we saw a picture of a girl in our classroom giving the president a bouquet of roses at memorial auditorium. Her name was lulu and her father was the president of the young Democrats club in raleigh. My friend and I were shell schocked after meeting him. All the young people loved him because he was just 42 with a young wife and kids. He had this whole Camelot thing going. He was the first president born in the 20th century. I remember there was a good feeling in general that this country
Was going to move in a good direction. Alan shepherd had just orbited the earth and we had a tv in the classroom watching it all. This was going to be a new country and a new world and we kids were happy. Then we moved back to Durham. That story later. James jones

Reactions: 327