Angel`s in my rear !!!

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Well,,, Ordered my Dutchman Axles today and Monday will have the Richmond 4.56 gears comming !!!
Then when I recoop I`ll order the TCI race ready TH400 with the trans brake !!
Looked into have the brake installed local but by the time you spend the money to do that it`s only a few hundred more for the TCI.
Besides the TCI has all the HiPro stuff in it already like heated sprags,,clutches , shaft and better oiling system.
It`s only money,,,right???,,,dq

Loafer409

Supporting Member 1
Dq, do you have your heart set on a 400 or are you open to the ideal of a 700r4??? The OD sure is nice with the lower gears. These guys made what is supposed to be a "killer 700r4". If you on dial up the site takes a long time to load because it has lots of pictures and stuff, prices are listed so you can compare cost to you 400...09

http://www.transmissioncenter.net/highperf700r4.htm :deal

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Thanks loafer !! Great info,,,I`ll call them Monday,,,,Looks like it would be about $1000 more then the 400,,,but if I save $250 on the gears,,,,$150 installation,,,,$150 on the higher stall converter,,,that brings it down to about $450 more.
Not too bad !!! and I`ll be able to cruse better.
No info on atrans brake though,,
Thankz,,,,,definitlely will look into it,,,,dq

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Loafer,, thats a great article !!!
The weird thing with converters is figuring out the stall speed.
You can`t go by the numbers on the box as it all has to do with your engine combo, torq and car weight.
The first one I had was way low,,,about 1200-1500 !! Fortunately I had to R&R the engine so I changed it then.
It came back at 2500 on the power brake so I hope to get 5-700 more on the trans brake.
A 1500 would be ideal but you don`t know untill you try it.
I`d like to launch no less then 3500--4000.
I don`t think the 700R is what I want.
What I am thinking about down the road is an overdrive unit.
They are able to hold up to 500+ ft/lbs and can be installed anytime to the trans output shaft (see Link).
,,,,dq:cheers

http://www.chrismans.com/Transmission.html

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Ordered the 4.56 gears today from California Gears (Chrismans) at $215.
http://www.chrismans.com/
Great people to deal with and prices are great with parts in stock!
Should have them by Thursday. Axles won`t be ready until next Monday so won`t be doing any fun stuff til then.

Mean while I`ll install the electric radiator fan. Just going to install it in front of the radiator with a switch on the dash.
Then run it in-between rounds and when I get stuck in traffic.
I switch to the summer themo (160) and it stays cooler,,,between 180 - 195* unless stuck in traffic or when idleing for extended times,,,,like waiting in the staging lines. Then it wants to go to 200- 225*. I`d like it to stay as cool as posible when at the track.

Going to have two !" dense wood carb spacers made to keep the carbs cool. Been having a little trouble with them getting too hot with the aluminum ones. Idle gets crazy and I think the gas starts to boil.
Thats the lastest up-date,,,,dq:deal