air cleaner

I have a opportunity to pick up a 3x2's 348, air cleaner
for my 60 impala ragtop. Does anyone have a idea what the going price might be
Thanks
Mike:)air cleaner

JokersBel

Banned
Recent ebay auctions have netted anywhere from 700-950. I saw one that was rusted out, went for something like 450? One that had holes drilled all around it for about the same. Seems like the market has dissappeared for the most part on 348 3x2 carbs/intakes...used to see up to 3 complete setups at the same time, now very little. A recent auction netted $1195 for a mechanical secondary setup that was rebuilt and looked good. Hope it helps...Jim

SteveD409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Are you talking about a whole 348 engine WITH 3X2/aircleaner? I think Joker is talking just about a 3X2 setup and aircleaner alone.

SteveD

I was thinking about just the air cleaner at this time.
I've been looking at one for $ 900 in excellent condition.
Mike

JokersBel

Banned
haha, yep I was talking about just the breather. 900 is a reasonable price, for a good one. Lotsa money for just an air cleaner, i know, but supply-demand. 3x2 is SOOO cool! I can't wait to see how awkward those vacuum secondaries work. WHAM! all or nothing! Haha Jim

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
secondaries

The real surprise with the vacuum secondaries is when you let off the throttle, and they DON'T CLOSE. If you are going to run the vacuum secondaries, make sure you never leave home without a couple pair of clean underware with you! First you say it, then you do it!
Really, be careful with the vacuum secondaries. I know it's more true to the date, but there was a reason we got rid of it and made the mechanical stuff. Even way back when.

Fred

JokersBel

Banned
LOL, i'll make sure to remember that! I didn't know they wouln't close quick, I figured if the slider valve is adjusted correctly, the pump bracket will "switch" the air supply off. Hmmm, guess it'd only do that if you let off the throttle completely.

I really don't plan on running those secondaries very often. I really think what i'm gonna use the car for, the center carb will supply plenty of fuel. I may eventually just adjust it so the sec's don't open at all or find other non-original carbs and convert them to mechanical. Still looking forward to it either way!!!!

Jim