96-99 Chevy truck starters on older engines

bobs409

Administrator
I saw 2 videos now where they mentioned using a starter from these trucks as they are supposed to be gear reduction, much smaller and lighter and one guy mentioned it was the magnetic type. (what does that mean??)

My question is of our old engines, what do these fit and are they much cheaper than some aftermarket mini starters. (guess I'm looking for a deal if possible) :D

I would be interested in one for my 454 69 stepside and maybe my 409 but not sure if any of these would fit these applications.

Let's hear your thoughts...

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
one guy mentioned it was the magnetic type. (what does that mean??)
It does not have the electrically activated field magnets. They are the permanent magnets like the DB Electrical starters. They are also about the same size as the DB starters.
I have that starter on my 64 409 and my 71 K10 with 454. These starters do not have the terminal to put 12 volts back to the coil to aid in cold weather starts.

bobs409

Administrator
So what exactly do they fit? Is it staggered bolt pattern 168 tooth flywheel? Does transmission make a difference?

Also those 96-99 trucks, is there a difference between automatic and standard starters when ordering?

I think a slob can save quite a bit of money over buying just an aftermarket mini starter. Looking for something that will spin my 454. The starter on it gets heat soak easily and acts odd other times. Might give the 409 one if it works out good.

I'm just not sure what to order. My 454 is mated to a TH350 and my 409 is mated to an M22 4 speed.

Thanks guys!

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
My car has the original 340/409 with M20. The 71 K10 has the original TH 350 behind the 454 that I put in years ago. I also have that starter on a 89 3/4 ton with 350. All of mine are staggered bolt.

bobs409

Administrator
Great! So just to be clear, do I order one for a 96-99 Chevy truck with small block and auto? (or ??)

Just don't want to order the wrong one. ;)

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
That will probably work just fine. I think there is a 1.7 kw version of the same unit that might have a little more grunt if you can locate one.