63 Impala stroker build

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The inexpensive double row timing chains may be "heavier" duty than the stock silent chain but as far as stretch is concerned they are not any better in my opinion. I was into a GM crate engine YEARS ago that had about 100 miles on it. It had the plain double row timing set and it had play as you described maybe slightly more. I think it was about 3/8. I was somewhat surprised as this was supposed to be the "good stuff". Then I discovered "true" roller timing sets. After a year in a race car these usually have 1/8-3/16" play. If all else looks good reinstall!
Conclusion, I would suggest upgrading to a true roller set.
Jeff

Last edited:

smd321

So here is the final build summary:

1963 QB block, bored .030 over
Eagle 4" Stroker kit, including Ross 10.5:1 .030 pistons
HV oil pump
690 heads w/ stainless valves and hardened seats
Isky solid cam .481 intake. Set to .022 and .024 lash.
3384 intake with 3361s and 3362s carbs

Set timing for 35 degrees total advance at 4500rpm. I did end up spending about 3 hours tweaking the front carb floats and eventually had to swap needles and seats with a spare AFB to get it to regulate level.

Ended up with max at 380hp, 488ft lb torque at 4500rpm

I was expecting more HP, but since this is just a street car, not planning any more tweaking or dyno test. I've had some input that I should have used a bigger cam to get more out of it, but as long as there's nothing wrong with it I'm going to leave it as-is.

I still have a rear main seal leak, so I'm pulling the pan to fix that up and then hopefully put it in the car soon!!

Last edited: