63 Impala horn ring help

Gliderider06

Well Known Member
Hi all, I bought a horn ring mount kit and I'm not sure if I am putting it on right. I looked through the 63 assembly manual and the 63 shop manual, but did not see exactly how it goes.
Does the metal plate that goes against the horn button go disc up or down against the wheel? I tried different ways and ended with the large portion to the wheel, plastic spacer, horn mount then the red screw ring. It just doesn't feel real secure.
Any thoughts? This is the kit I used...
Screenshot_20240915-175355_eBay.jpg

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
The metal disc goes against the metal inside the steering wheel - must be all metal against metal ( no paint on metal plate inside steering wheel)- disc goes concave down for horn to work correctly held in place by round plastic red plastic piece

if you need order of everything i can check one of my steering wheels I have 2-3 sets of original hardware like your picture

Gliderider06

Well Known Member
The metal disc goes against the metal inside the steering wheel - must be all metal against metal ( no paint on metal plate inside steering wheel)- disc goes concave down for horn to work correctly held in place by round plastic red plastic piece

if you need order of everything i can check one of my steering wheels I have 2-3 sets of original hardware like your picture
Ok, that's the way I installed it. The horn ring just feels a little loose to me.
Thank you!

Reactions: 327

Well Known Member
It should be tight when you tighten the two bolts that hold it in place.