63 impala 327 to 409

lee63impala

First time posting. I have a 63 impala 327 250 hp . The impala is all original, including paint.,53000 miles. Pretty remarkable car. The dilema! I'm toying with the idea of putting in a 409 engine with a 4 speed. Right now Its 3 on the tree. Can anybody Give me sme pros and cons. What would you do and would i run into any problems. thanks lee

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Similar paths...

Seven years ago I purchased a 1962 Impala that was ordered from the factory with a 283 and a powerglide. I drove her like that for about three years before I took her a part and slipped a dual quad 409 with a four speed behind that. Also put in a posi rearend. The difference is, well, unbelievable :) :) :). But you might expect that!

The swap was very easy, the engine perches are the same, the trans lines up easily, the drive shaft will need to be modified slightly. It wasn't too hard to open the floor in the correct location for the four speed shifter. I did have an extra problem in that I went from one brake pedal to the brake/clutch setup, but you won't have that issue since you already have the 3 speed. I went to the smooth column look (you can shave that nub off easily and repaint your column if you'd like) for the four speed.

Several of us have done this, and there's even a "sticky" with instructions for converting to a four speed that you will find handy.

The hard part is finding and building your drive train. I located a correct 1962 Borg Warner T-10, but went with a scattershield just in case things shattered under duress :). Do you already have some of the parts, such as the 409? There are several discussions and posts on building a "budget 409" but the costs associated are not the same as the more common SBC.

Ask lots of questions, tell us what you are trying to accomplish and we can give you advise, then you get to fund the decisions!

BTW, I live in Columbia, less than 150 miles away. If you want to feel what it's like to be in a 409 four speed, look me up!

Cheers,
TomK

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
lee, Welcome to the site. My suggestion will be far different than others but , my suggestions usually are. I will give you one of those " if it were mine", opinions. If it were mine, I would put a 340 hp-409 in it and retain the 3 on the tree trans. There are tons of A/T cars out there,, there are a lot of 4 sp, both original and converted to 4 sp.,,,, but there ain't no column shifters left. Now, of course if you plan on some drag strip time, the 3 sp would not be a good idea. But for myself, I would love to have an old Impala with a 340-409 and the 3 on the tree. A set of Cherry Bomb glass packs and man!!! would I have a great time driving that car. Good luck with your project, no matter which combination you choose. :cheers

PAINTJOHN1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Lee,I respect Ronnie and Mr Hp,they have a neat point,but if your tearing the car apart to install a 409,go for the gold,put a 4 speed in that sucker.You will love it.I think if you put a 3 speed on the column,if you get into it to hard you may blow a tranny.Do it right the first time you won't regret it.John

lee63impala

red impala yes

I tried to call you last week and yesterday to get your input. Will talk to you after the hollidays. You would of found out soon anyway, your the man phil.

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Lee, welcome to the site.:clap Great group of guys ! :crazy:cool: Lots of pics of your ride please and any projects.:cheers:cheers

WENGINE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Welcome aboard Lee:beerbang You have a dream and now some idea's to form a plan (They always change during a build:D) I kind of like the 3 on the tree idea just because it's different. Just don't know if the Saganaw will hold up to a beefed up 09:dunno just somthing to think about. ken

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Lee,I respect Ronnie and Mr Hp,they have a neat point,but if your tearing the car apart to install a 409,go for the gold,put a 4 speed in that sucker.You will love it.I think if you put a 3 speed on the column,if you get into it to hard you may blow a tranny.Do it right the first time you won't regret it.John

Then put the 4 speed in if that happens. Welcome to the site.

Don