62 Impala windshield and rear window install

Kdurgin

Well Known Member
I've been semi dreading the front and rear windshield installation. Today was the day. I'll post a few photos showing the preps and outcome. I got the green tint glass from Auto City classics. Quality appears nice even though they are imported. The rear went in slick as hell but we struggled with the front for a few minutes and realized the gasket was inside out meaning the glass was in the proper channel of the gasket, but the thicker side of the gasket needed to be on the outer side. We reversed it and it went right in even easier than the rear. The "rope trick" worked slick. Thanks for previous input on the forums regarding sealers and techniques.

Rearwindow11262010.jpg

Rearwindow11262010B.jpg

Rearwindow11262010C.jpg

Windshield11262010B.jpg

58 Apache

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
:roll Some times we make things harder then they are. My buddy was dodging pulling hie rear window out of his Fairlane to get some new trim clips in. The day he finally did it took him all of 2 hours to pull change the clips out get it back in and put the trim on. The car is looking good. I see in the last pic your wiring hanging on the hood hinge and I'm tring to find a source for just some terminal connectors for .320 style 59 male and female with 16, 14, and 10 wire.

Kdurgin

Well Known Member
Derry, Call Donnie Bock at (AAW) American Auto Wire. If he doesn't have it he should know where you can get it.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
:roll Some times we make things harder then they are. My buddy was dodging pulling hie rear window out of his Fairlane to get some new trim clips in. The day he finally did it took him all of 2 hours to pull change the clips out get it back in and put the trim on. The car is looking good. I see in the last pic your wiring hanging on the hood hinge and I'm tring to find a source for just some terminal connectors for .320 style 59 male and female with 16, 14, and 10 wire.

Derry,
Here's a couple of possible sources.

http://www.rowand.net/Shop/Tech/AutomotiveElectricalConnectors.htm

http://www.mouser.com/search/default.aspx

18htan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
What a daunting job....

I am not looking forward to getting that done!

Well Done :clap

bobs409

Administrator
I did the rear window in my truck last year and it wasn't too bad using the rope. I had never done this type before. I was able to do this myself because I could push from the outside and reach the rope. I'm not ready to tackle a windshield though. They just plain scare me! :eek:

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
The windshields are not bad on your pickup Bob. I have done 5 or 6 over the years between mine and my sons. I did the 62 Impala last winter and it wasn't too bad either. I recommend starting with new rubber each time.

bobs409

Administrator
Thanks Ron. I already have new gaskets for both my trucks but since I'm going to buy brand new windshields, I'm leaving the company I buy from install them. I'd be very afraid of trying a new windshield. :eek: I just don't trust my luck THAT much. :roll

Impalabricker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
So my glass guy calls me last night and tells me the windshield I bought is too big and may possibly be for a "bubbletop" model. I intsantly get angry, and tell him to make it fit. I know all windshields are the same. What is he doing wrong? I dont have time to visit the shop due to work.

Attachments

• IMG_20171023_201013.jpg
    IMG_20171023_201013.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 2

Impalabricker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks Phil. I learned something today.. and it only cost me $400 .. :think

Update: Classic Industries "where I bought it" has agreed to exchange the windshield for me free of charge a whole 10 months after I purchased it! Due to the windshield being new still and their website having inaccurate information/ The correct 62 HT windshield is listed in the 61 section!

Last edited:

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Good news on the return.

Who actually supplied the windshield ? Classic Industries gets it from a supplier.
Phils note (Auto City Classics in Minnesota) is where I get all my glass from -for the last 4 - 1962's I restored.
Paul

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
So my glass guy calls me last night and tells me the windshield I bought is too big and may possibly be for a "bubbletop" model. I intsantly get angry, and tell him to make it fit. I know all windshields are the same. What is he doing wrong? I dont have time to visit the shop due to work.

Oh oh. Looks like the windshield guy gets the last laugh. I hate when that happens. Kinda like when I said on a post on this site that my 68 Nova didn't have chevyII on the hood.....:doh Crow ain't bad if you eat it warm. Sounds like things with come out fine.