62 409 bubbletop

spatz

gentle;
I'm in the process of restoring my 62 to it's original condition, and was wondering if anyone knew of mfg. of 4:11 ring & pinions that didn't howl when assembled.

thank you
Stephen

BSL409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Welcome aboard,
Stephen if the gears are setup correctly they should not make any noise:deal

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
I have set up U.S. gears in 4:11 with no noise. Pay close attention to pattern and run and extra few thous on the backlash. I run a little more backlash on steeper gears because they generally run warmer and I want to make sure I maintain minimum clearance when hot.

spatz

Welcome aboard,
Stephen if the gears are setup correctly they should not make any noise:deal
Thanks for your response, I had a fellow thats be doing this for over 50 years, we bought new richmond gears for my 69 nova and double checked the clearances and it still howls. Additionally their was a note in the box from richmond that stated there may be noise. I appreciate your comments.

spatz

I have set up U.S. gears in 4:11 with no noise. Pay close attention to pattern and run and extra few thous on the backlash. I run a little more backlash on steeper gears because they generally run warmer and I want to make sure I maintain minimum clearance when hot.
thanks for your input.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
From what I've been told............Richmond gears are made for racing and therefore...have "harder" metal. They will whine but are the only one with a 3:70 ratio that I know of.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
From what I've been told............Richmond gears are made for racing and therefore...have "harder" metal. They will whine but are the only one with a 3:70 ratio that I know of.
Phil, He is looking for 4:11's...:think

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
You may not know how a Private message(PM) works. It is sent to you only. It shows up as a red number under alerts(upper right of page). I sent you this information:

I have a brand new 4:11 ring and pinion to sell that I don't need. Depending on what type of rear end carrier you have 3 series (3:70 or lower)or 4 series(4:11 or higher), you may need a spacer to install the 4:11 gears. I also have a complete 4:11 posi 3rd member that I am going to remove from my 62 SS Impala that has only 600 miles on it. I am removing it to replace it with a higher gear for my overdrive muncie 4 speed. There is nothing wrong with this posi, I had it rebuilt.
Paul Stensland