59 Tri Power coil location and water pump bypass?

JCL

I’m replacing the 283 in my 59 el Camino with a 348 3x2.

Two question; where was the factory mounting location for the ignition coil?
I‘ve seen internet photos where the coil is mounted horizontally on the firewall behind the distributor cap. If this I’d correct, it seems like a poor location for a number of reasons. Also, there are no factory mounting provisions at this location. Did the factory use captured nuts, studs or other hardware to mount the coil?

Second question. The intake manifold has no provision to connect the upper (bypass hose) from the water pump. I’ve seen internet photos of a tee connector on the upper heater hose where it connects to the intake But this seems like an afterthough, even if it was a factory design. I’m not clear on the reason for the bypass on the top of the water pump. I know the W block & BBC engines have them but not the SBC engines. Do the W BB water pumps have a circulation problem ? When I trace the coolant flow from the water pump through the heater core and back to intake manifold, the bypass hose seems redundant.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Do you have the GM 1959 Chevrolet assembly manual?
it should shown in that manual.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
My recollection is that factory GM tri power intake manifolds have a factory GM T connection fitting that screws into water inlet on the water inlet on the tri power intake.
All 409’s and 348’s have the GM bypass connection and they work just fine.