'59-60 posi

ejw 71

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I have what I hope is a '59-'60 posi. I can't tell by looking at it. Is there a procedure where I can can post a photo and have members view it to determine if it's a posi? Thanks, Ed

bobs409

Administrator
Just turn one tire (or hub if it doesn't have tires-lol) If the other side turns in the same direction, it's posi.

You can also figure out the gear ratio by counting the revolutions of the tire and compare to the revolutions of the driveshaft flange. See how many times the tire turns for every 1 revolution of the shaft.

If it's not posi, you may have to turn twice for every shaft revolution. (limited slip is that way)

Hope that makes sense... ;)

Also, compare the code with the differential code chart on this site.

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Hey, Bob

You can check the ratio that way, but the tire is only going to turn about 1/4 to 1/3 of a turn to one turn of the driveshaft. It is more accurate to turn the tire (for a posi) one turn and count the driveshaft revolutions.

For a non-posi, jack up only one wheel and turn the tire 2 turns and count the drive shaft revolutions. I usually put the valve stem at the bottom and use it as a reference point.

Ron

bobs409

Administrator
Ooops. That's what I mean't. :D I should have checked my notes.

Didn't these also have a big "P" somewhere on them?

ejw 71

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I guess file me under dumbo. Failed to mention that the hogs head is not in a car. What's why I asked about providing a photo. Thanks, Ed

ejw 71

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Bob's409, Thought you were joke'n about the "P". You weren't. The hogs head has a big "P" and the numbers D220 3743833 on the left side between the 3 o'clock and 4 o'clock stud holes. Thanks, Ed

crawler

3743833 = posi

D220 = April 22 1960 (casting date)

If you check the other side closely you should find the assembly date and ratio code. These letters/numbers are stamped in and are often difficult to read even with a good cleaning.

crawler

ejw 71

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks Crawler. From where did you get the info? I have another hogshead to decode. Decided to tear this one down. It won't rotate, ring gear has busted teeth. By dividing number of ring gear teeth by number of pinion gear teeth ratio calcuates to over 5:1. You can generally tell if hogshead is a posi by seeing the center localed springs. This unit's posi section is more enclosed and internals not visible. Ed

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
posi

The early positraction units were more enclosed. You couldn't see anything in them. The sure do work, though. If you could see spider gears, it isn't a positraction unit.

Fred

ejw 71

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
SS425 HP, Thanks for the reply. It has 4 gears rotating around two gears in an enclosed housing. It doesn't have springs like a posi. I'm not certain that this unit is '59-'60 Chevy. In an open 59-60 unit (for comparsion) 4 spider gears rotate round each other.
Ed

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
posi

The old Positraction units have clutch discs in them. About 10, I think. The cross bar has a triangle shape. When pressure is applied, this triangle like shaft twists and applies pressure to the clutch pack, which then locks the axels together. It takes some pressure to do this. On ice or snow, it might not happen, as there is not enough pressure to twist the cross shaft. We used to apply some emergency brake on ice to get enough pressure to make the thing work.

Fred

crawler

I get my info from old original parts books (I have several 59-61 versions). They are in my experience, the most reliable source of numbers info. If you post your assembly codes or other rearend codes I will tell you what they mean.

ejw 71

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Crawler, Can you decode the hogshead G208G2 3725898. Believe it came out of a '59-'60 Impala. Thanks, Ed

crawler

3725899 = open diff (non posi)

You gave the last digit as a '8'
It's actually a '9' that just looks like an '8'
probably due to a small casting imperfection (this is very common)

Your casting date G208G2 has too many digits. I will assume you mean G208
G208 = July 20 1958. This rear could have come in a very late 58 car, but probably an early 59 car. Your assembly code stamped on the passengers side of the 'hogs head' will tell you. It's usually two letters and three numbers. If your rears are out of the car, a toothbrush and solvent should reveal this code. (If it's rusty, try a bit of steelwool.

crawler

ejw 71

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Crawler, Yep, last digit was a 9, not an 8. Checked the other casted code, certain it reads G2062. This could this decode to July 20, 1962, assuming hogshead was replaced. Counting teeth produced a 3.36:1 ratio. The stamped code on the other side reads BB0727. This hogshead was removed from a '59 ElCamino, not from '59-'60 Impala as stated earlier. Thanks again for your assistance. Ed

crawler

Yes, I think your right, That number G2062 means July 20 1962. Only rears built in Buffalo NY had two digits for the year (as does yours) ('62' rather than just a '2') This is further confirmed by your stamping code starting with a 'B' - only rears built in Buffalo started with a 'B'. Your assembly date '0727' means July 27, so it's a Buffalo rear that was assembled seven days after it was cast. The last piece of the puzzel is the 'BB' ratio code. I would guess this means 3.36 if your count came to that, but I have no info to confirm this cause you have gone out of my area (1959-1961). Maybe one of the others on this fourm have a listing for the 1962 axel code 'BB'?

crawler

ejw 71

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Crawler, So, a '62 hogshead will fit a '59. What years does this interchangeability cover? Thanks for all your help, Ed

crawler

Yes, as SS425 said, any 55-64 'hogshead' will interchange into any 55-64 axle housing, also, I believe they will interchange with any 55-62 corvette rear. No luck on the trucks though.

crawler

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
According to my parts book, all differential carriers with the BB code, no matter what year from 55-64, were 3:36 ratio.
Ron